Barred Rocks Now with pictures what are we

Mrsfoote

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Laurel Montana
Got two barred rock chicks today...is there anyway to determine their sex?? Thanks alot!
Chick 1
429.jpg

433.jpg

434.jpg

435.jpg

439.jpg

Chick 2
437.jpg

438.jpg

431.jpg

428.jpg

436.jpg

Last edited:
from what i've heard the pullets have a more circular dot on their heads, and the cockerels just have some white splotchies atop their heads. and the females have darker legs than the males.

i only have one barred rock, so i'm sure there's more to it. i don't have a ton of experience with them.

well i dont think they are a feather sexed bird but every time i have it seems to work. but a cockerals wing feathers will be sorta even and the the pullets wing feathers will sorta be long feather short feather and so on basicly in the primaries. like i said before i dont think barred rocks are that type of breed. got any pictures? lol

Why don't you type that in as a search.....sexing barrred rock chicks? I think it is the spot on the head that means roo. I only say that because my grandaughter picked out two that both had spots on their head...named one Patches because of it and both ended up roosters. But I did read later that was a way to sex them....the spot.

It's not completely accurate but Pullets are darker then males and get their feathers faster then males. They may also have a dark wash down their legs that the males get less often. The dot, I think, is supposed to be well defined.

Males are lighter, grow slower, and get a pink comb at 3-4 weeks.

Hope it helps,

Quote:
I agree:

#1 has a clearly defined head spot and the dark wash down her legs

#2 - splotchy head spot/s, no dark wash on the legs, and way too much white in the feathering for a pullet

Quote:
I agree:

#2 - splotchy head spot/s, no dark wash on the legs, and way too much white in the feathering for a pullet

Agree

Quote:
I agree:

Agree

x4

Back
Top Bottom