Barred rocks RIRs and Golden campine what are the sexes???

I think the last one might be female too. It is too bad, it seems someone took advantage of you, if they indeed represented these as not being crosses.

If you check around you can usually find someone who is well respected. You will pay more but will get what you paid for. The local feed stores send me customers that are looking for older birds, and also for chicks if they don't have them at the time.

So that may be one place to check. Also, if those are sex linked crosses, then it is also likely the "breeder" knew they were male from day one.

Last edited:
Oh I see (just saw some pics of SL roosters) so basically she dumped them on us knowing it would be a while before we would find out......Awesome

Maybe. They just don't look right (except the Campine) to be the breeds she represented them to be.

And a major reason the sexlinks are popular is because you can tell a boy from a girl the day they hatch out. So (for example) if you cross a Barred Rock hen with a Rhode Island Red roo, all the boys have white dots on the top of their heads. The girls don't.
Read about it here:http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

So I don't know what she did. If she is truly breeding sexlinks, then she probably knew they were male. Or if they aren't sexlinks then it seems likely she fibbed about separating the breeds, and they are mutts. In the second case, they would be sold as straight runs, as most people aren't qualified to vent sex . And you would have about 50/50 males to females.

What are the other birds in the background? The black one and the white one?

Last edited:
The black one is a sex link hen and the white is a leghorn hen. The sex link hen is why I do believe she dumped the roos on us because she was obviously crossing the 2 but the barr chicks were supposed to be kept separate from the SL chicks

Back
Top Bottom