1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barren hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabriellebw, Nov 21, 2009.

1. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    I have two Rhode Island Reds and one Barred Rock. They are all about seven months old. The two Reds started laying about a month ago but the Barred Rock has yet to give even the hint of an egg. We were surprised because she is the biggest of the three. Another strange thing is that while the combs on the other two girls have grown quite a bit, the Barred Rock's comb is still tiny. We are first time chicken owners so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The combs grow "overnight" about a week or so before they start laying.

Could be that your BR just needs more time.
    Upping the protein of their feed *might* help, BUT I'd guess that the weather is having the biggest impact on them right now.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    A: post pic's

Totally helps...LOL

B: hens will be darker more black. Roo's will be lighter [​IMG]

OK, [​IMG] waiting for pic's....LOL

4. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I didn't know that about the combs! Oh Boy! My BO's combs have suddenly exploded - maybe they're about to start laying! Yippee!!!

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I am having the same issue with my buff orpington...she's also 7 months old, everyone else her age has been laying for almost 2 months, but not a hint of it from her...go figure!

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Some chickens are just late bloomers. This time of year can also slow things down, low light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by