Barring genetics

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I have barnyard mix chick, maybe five weeks old, that appears to be developed barred feathers, but it also has feathered feet. At the time the eggs were fertilized, the rooster I believe was a white barnyard mix with no feathers feed who was 14 weeks old at that time. I had only one other rooster, who was 13 week old copper Maran. The white rooster had been mounting hens for a couple of weeks, but no one had witnessed the grey one do anything, nor was he has physically developed as the white rooster.

The only two potential mothers were a barred rock hen or a buff Brahma. I would have sworn the white rooster was the dad with the buff Brahma being the mom which contributed to the feathered feet.

Can the white gene and a buff gene equal a barred chicken?

Or does that mean my 13 week old rooster is the dad with the barred rock hen?

Baby
6373D565-E1BB-40C3-B7B1-5004E63E94A6.jpeg

44ABFEF9-73A3-4A76-9898-E0F8EE5264E1.jpeg

45A14C0B-918A-4D10-B433-3201DE1DF048.jpeg

Barred rock potential mom
FB0DC0F5-87C4-4478-88C6-1A52AD3BD0B8.jpeg

67EAB73A-2CFE-4D75-8EB1-C314BB123556.jpeg

Buff Brahma potential mom
19621B32-8801-4B4A-91D3-BCEFF2CCEABC.jpeg

C9B65C47-B308-477C-A560-C7C8EB4BA91A.jpeg

Blue copper Maran potential dad
4B7E714A-2A7C-42B9-AD12-D40C26CE3C9D.jpeg

White rooster potential dad
8F184EC5-8184-49AA-AB55-A0259517C8F0.jpeg

5FE9F066-4888-4A49-A416-902FE91337C3.jpeg

Your white chicken sounds like a barred chicken with recessive white. When bred to another chicken, his chicks would get the barring without recessive white. Because of the feathered feet, you are probably right about the brahma being the mother.

I could also be completely wrong so hopefully someone who knows more about genetics replies.

Your white chicken sounds like a barred chicken with recessive white. When bred to another chicken, his chicks would get the barring without recessive white. Because of the feathered feet, you are probably right about the brahma being the mother.

I could also be completely wrong so hopefully someone who knows more about genetics replies.

I am reading this wiki article that says males can carry the barred gene but be essentially white with very little pigmentations. He has some front splashes of dark pigment on his tail feathers and maybe one other place on his body. 🤔 I’ve been feeling very strongly that the Brahma was the mom but completely confused over the barring situation. I am so hoping this chick is female. It is bigger than its three siblings which all have EEs as moms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-linked_barring

The Barred Rock hen is most likely the mother.
All barred chicks will be male if a solid colored Male mates with a Barred female.
Female chicks won't be Barred.

I'm guessing that the barred rock and the marans are the parents. What type of comb does the chick have? It looks like a single but is hard to tell from the photo. If those are the parents then your chick is a male.

The Barred Rock hen is most likely the mother.
All barred chicks will be male if a solid colored Male mates with a Barred female.
Female chicks won't be Barred.

What do you think about the odds of the rooster having barring in his genetics? “Females or male chickens carrying the B2 allele in the heterozygous condition show a defined barring pattern but in the homozygous condition, males are essentially white with very little pigmentation.”

The chick looks to either have a rose comb, or a pea comb.

Do you have any Dominiques?
I have no Dominiques, only the one barred rock. Two buff brahmas, three easter eggers (all with pea combs I think it’s called). I thought the comb looked like a single comb just by comparing it to it’s siblings which all had EEs for mom and all appear to be rose or pea combs on the chicks. I don’t have any current pics of them though.

Last edited:

What do you think about the odds of the rooster having barring in his genetics? “Females or male chickens carrying the B2 allele in the heterozygous condition show a defined barring pattern but in the homozygous condition, males are essentially white with very little pigmentation.”
It's very possible.
I hatched a blue Cuckoo colored chick recently from a Blue Wheaten, crowing bantam rooster, crossed with a dominate white silkie. So one of the parents must carry the barring mutation somewhere in their genetics to produce Barred offspring.

Back
Top Bottom