Barring genetics

Just noticed the pea comb, so the brahma would have to have been the mother. Or maybe it's a rose comb, your white rooster is the father. Either way, 2 single combed chickens are not the parents.

I just wasn’t sure if it was a pea comb, but my gut keeps telling me it’s the Brahma and white rooster. I wanted the Brahma to be the mom though, so I am biased.

I have no Dominiques, only the one barred rock. Two buff brahmas, three easter eggers (all with pea combs I think it’s called). I thought the comb looked like a single comb just by comparing it to it’s siblings which all had EEs for mom and all appear to be rose or pea combs on the chicks. I don’t have any current picks of them though.
An EE could be the father too, they carry all sorts of crazy color genes, & sometimes feathered leg genes.

Do you mean the white rooster could be part EE? I only have those two roosters, no EE Roos.
Could be possible. I thought maybe you did.
Here's some comb genetics for you.
Rose comb = R/R, R/r

Pea comb = P/P, P/p

Single comb = r/r, p/p (Recessive)

Walnut comb = R/R P/P _ R/r P/p _ R/R P/p _ R/R (Four different combinations)

Could be possible. I thought maybe you did.
Here's some comb genetics for you.
Rose comb = R/R, R/r

Pea comb = P/P, P/p

Single comb = r/r, p/p (Recessive)

Walnut comb = R/R P/P _ R/r P/p _ R/R P/p _ R/R (Four different combinations)

So by that logic, the rooster would contain the rose comb gene, and if Brahma was the mom, the chick should have had a walnut comb? But if the barred rock hen was the mom and the white rooster was the dad, it would rose?

Edit: but that wouldn’t be possible, white rooster and barred hen, because the chick has feathered feet. And if the Maran and the barred rock were the parents, the chick would have a single comb. Right? So wouldn’t that mean the only possible combo is the white rooster and the buff Brahma as the mom?

I’m thinking out loud here, but is that logic correct?

Yes, it would be a rose comb.
I edited my last comment to include this thought but am not sure if you saw it:

White rooster and barred hen wouldn’t be possible because the chick has feathered feet. And if the Maran and the barred rock were the parents, the chick would have a single comb. Right? So wouldn’t that mean the only possible combo is the white rooster and the buff Brahma as the mom?

I edited my last comment to include this thought but am not sure if you saw it:

White rooster and barred hen wouldn’t be possible because the chick has feathered feet. And if the Maran and the barred rock were the parents, the chick would have a single comb. Right? So wouldn’t that mean the only possible combo is the white rooster and the buff Brahma as the mom?

It's really hard to know for sure, the only way to prove who the parents are, is to breed again with the same birds.

Back
Top Bottom