Basic Brahma info

Summer98

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
How are the Brahma's for egg laying? I'm planning on getting some because they are cold-hardy, docile, and gorgeous!

Hi Summer98!

I got my flock of beautiful buff brahmas when they hatched in March (first-time chicken mom, here!!!). They started laying in late August, and on average lay every other day. I have 16 pullets, and I get 6 to 11 eggs daily. They're hatchery chicks (Mt. Healthy in Ohio), and none of them are "show girls," but they are awesome birds to me. My children can catch one, carry it around the yard and sit down with them in their laps without getting flogged or scratched.

The neatest thing is coming home from work and they are all waiting and cooing at me. I let them out every evening to forage for a couple of hours, and when I tell them it's time to go in, they do. Well, except for the 3 or 4 independent thinkers who head for the front yard! I guess that makes me a chicken herder, too!

Enjoy these great birds!

Becca

My large fowl Brahmas are reasonable layers. As pullets they start laying late....around 9 months for mine, and then lay about five medium sized eggs for the next year (or for a few weeks before going broody which almost all have done).

Thereafter pretty well all of mine have gone to laying about four really large eggs each week for several years.

My pure breed hens all go broody every summer, some up to four times.

Back
Top Bottom