basic care guide

CcJ

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Upstate, NY
I am trying to learn as much as possible before I get my chickens and I want to create a helpful info topic for new chciken owners, or even older ones who want to learn more. Post anything helpful you know or want to share, what products you use, and any other helpful hints, tricks, or info. It can be about anything related to raising chcickens and/or chicks and/or eggs. Thank you in advance.

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
:frowNew too!
Like you i have been scanning the forum for a while, got my first 2 hens 3 days ago. A barnevelder and buff sussex i intend on getting another 2 over the next few months.
i have spent the last 3 days in the coop observing and generally milling around, i cant believe how tame they are already, as soon as i enter they come running over and happily eat straight out of my hand!
I have learnt so much already by simply watching them, the 'basic care guide' is an excellent idea, i will be checking it out for pointers too.
frow.gif

Make sure you have your brooder set up before your babys hatch or arrive and double check the temp before you put them in the brooder and continue to check the temp.

I dont use shaving because they seem to eat them and i have read where some chicks get impacted and die from it. I just use paper towels.

Remove and replace with clean paper towels 2 to 3 times a day.

Fresh clean water 2 to 3 times a day. Add electrolites to the water for the first couple of days, add a little honey, not much.

I grind the chick started so they can eat it alot easier, so many big crumbles cant be eaten. Get out your trusty blender and get a canister full ready for new babies.

There is another by Gail Damerow....Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. Its also loaded with lots of terrific information about choosing the right breeds, caring for chicks, building shelters, maintaining good flock health, and on and on.

Good luck! Have fun! Can't wait to see your pictures.

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom