Basic chick care guide.

when we used to get new babies we would make some dots on the cardboard box, chick high, with a marker. it gave them something to peck at, other than each other.

i love the one about putting dots on the cardboard. this may be obvious, but i used warm water when i put my babies in the brooder at first (coming from mail order) in case they were deeply chilled.

thumbsup.gif

Heat source: I personally use a 100 watt black light bulb. sinc e the brooder is in my room I cant sleep with a bright light shining for 4 weeks. Also it helps prevent picking other chicks feet. Others have used 100 watt standard lights and a few have suggested the yellow light bulbs for picnic areas. Any of those is fins as long as the floor level is 95.5F. After there first week in there you have to drop it 5F so that means the second week should be 90F. Make sure the brooder is big enough for a cool side and a warm side where the heating lamp goes.

Thanks for some good tips; however, I have to comment on the temp recommendation. Many people feel that 95 is too hot, including some "old timers." And if the floor is 95.5, a few inches above is even hotter. Maybe it depends upon the robustness of the chicks and the amount of ventilation, but 95 would have killed at least 2 of mine had I not lowered the temp closer to 90-92. I think people need to learn to observe, to be educated on what to watch for, and to adjust and experiment. High temperatures are also implicated in pasty butt, I believe.

One of my new chicks just died. So sad.
1f62d.png

How can I know if what she died from is contagious or not? They arrived just a few hours ago, and I kept her warm and gave her electrolytes with a dropper. She seemed to do better for a while, but then quickly got worse and died. Did I do anything wrong? The others are acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom