Basic Coop building questions

steppinthrax

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2019
Owings, MD
So I guess I realized I kinda realized I have many chicks and as a result i will need a rather large coop. So I have around 12 chicks. They are in a brooder right now but I will need to build a coop pretty fast. I have very good DIY skills and capable of doing this, but I need some general ideas. I'm open to buying ready made if the price is about the same however the size of the coops you get outside seem kinda small even for a small number of birds (4 or 5).

I was told that I will need roughly 3 sq feet per chick so since I have 12; I would need around 36sqft. I'm thinking either a 10 x 4 or 4 x 9 coop size, does this include the size of the run? Also for a flock this large, how many nesting boxes would I need?

So I guess I realized I kinda realized I have many chicks and as a result i will need a rather large coop. So I have around 12 chicks. They are in a brooder right now but I will need to build a coop pretty fast. I have very good DIY skills and capable of doing this, but I need some general ideas. I'm open to buying ready made if the price is about the same however the size of the coops you get outside seem kinda small even for a small number of birds (4 or 5).

I was told that I will need roughly 3 sq feet per chick so since I have 12; I would need around 36sqft. I'm thinking either a 10 x 4 or 4 x 9 coop size, does this include the size of the run? Also for a flock this large, how many nesting boxes would I need?

A couple of things you might want to clarify:
- Are these going to be full size birds or bantams?
- What part of the world do you live in - i.e. that will help folks understand your climate and any special requirements you might want to consider
- Will you free range your birds at all, or will they be confined to a run?
- What available space (square footage) do you have for placing a coop and run?

Some general answers to help address your questions:
- Since you have good skills as a DIY'er, you'd most likely be able to build something for far less money than you'd pay for a pre-fab at the size you'd need, if you could find one that large
- 2nd levels, or above the floor space is not traditionally counted as sq. ft. area for the chickens.
- Remember that if you're building a walk-in style, you have to give yourself some room too. There is space needed for the birds, but if you want to enjoy doing the tasks you need to do in the coop, you need some space to work. So while you may be able to build something to spec for the exact space needed for the birds, it probably won't leave you much space. Having chickens is a ton of fun. Having the space to enjoy working with the chickens is even more fun.
- A good option might be to look for 8' x 8' sheds and modify according to your needs. They typically share a lot of the basics of a coop, and considering time and money, can be a pretty good deal if you cost it all out. I had a blast building my coop, but I did it for the experience, not saving money. I wouldn't do it any other way because I enjoyed it, but I know buying a shed and modifying to what would be needed would have been much more cost efficient.
- Check out greenhouse plans if you want to build from scratch but off of designed plans. That was the base that I used for my coop and it was designed with plenty of ventilation, walk-in, style, etc.

I think if you can follow up with a few more details on what you have in mind, people will be able to help dial you in with a solid plan.

Depending on your climate, aim for roughly 4 sq ft inside the coop, or more (if you're in an area with extreme cold, heavy snow, high winds, you may find the chickens choosing to stay inside for days on end... in that case you will need more than minimum). I built for a max of 12 birds so I went with a 6x10 (as my nest boxes are internal and eat up floor space).

The run is a separate matter. Aim for a minimum of 10 sq ft per chicken, however I highly recommend going over that amount for flock harmony.

1 nest box per 3 to 4 hens is the usual recommendation.

Does the sqft have to be on the 1st floor? Example, could you get creative by doing a 2nd floor or some sort of ledge/perch?

Can't really add a "second floor" and expect to cheat on crowding issues as chickens will choose to spend most of their time on ground level. They'll only use the roost to sleep on.

I wouldn't go with 3 square feet per bird...

Depending on your climate, aim for roughly 4 sq ft inside the coop, or more (if you're in an area with extreme cold, heavy snow, high winds, you may find the chickens choosing to stay inside for days on end...

Yeah... what climate are you in?

Because yes... with nasty winters you need a HUGE coop, or a regular sized coop attached to a roofed/snow free and wind free run.

And super hot places are best without typical coops...

Something like the below photo is great for hot places..
cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg

I have very good DIY skills and capable of doing this, but I need some general ideas.
Build a basic shed, go at least 8x8, or something to fit typical lumber sizes.
Add large roof overhangs all around with open eaves/soffits for all year ventilation,
and top hinged windows for rain protected summer ventilation.
3 good links in my signature that all beginning coop builders should read.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-27_17-59-52.png

Back
Top Bottom