Basics for House Pigeons

and grit is essential. All nutrients in the grain will be lost without grit, as they will have no way to digest it. I recommend Mineral grit for them.

Provide grit, but don't worry if they don't eat much.
I keep a cup of mixed grit in my bird's cage, but she hasn't eaten any since I think last July when she laid eggs last and was craving minerals. She's obviously able to digest her food anyway.

Yes, the lights are used some. I have never used them though, so I cant give you much advice. :(

I have never used them, but recently read the benefits and will be ordering one. It may be less important for birds that eat mostly formulated pellets and get regular vitamin D via diet but Olive, though she does eat some pellets, probably isnt getting enough.

Here is my current set up. I didn't want to clutter it with too many things.
I got a bird lamp for the top and a toy that has paper shreds in it, since I heard pigeons aren't big on toys but maybe paper bits would be fun for them. Would they eat a millet spray if I put one in the holder, too?

In summer the window will be open most of the day.

145521171_10223823928041850_2972664764055493614_o.jpg

I got a bird lamp for the top and a toy that has paper shreds in it, since I heard pigeons aren't big on toys but maybe paper bits would be fun for them. Would they eat a millet spray if I put one in the holder, too?

View attachment 2513130
Where's the birdie?!?:D

View attachment 2513130
The setup is good enough, but remove the rope as it is too thin, a pigeon will not use it. A nest bowl or basket should be provided, a bonded hen will lay eggs for you and a bonded male will want a nest to claim and defend even though they won't lay (obviously.)

It took like 18 months for my hen to decide to start laying eggs but she has done it every four weeks like clockwork for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom