Bathing baby chicks?

Some of them are crusty. They feel dry, but look wet, and when you feel them its hard and crusty feeling. I guess it is after birth goop.

I inherited a 2 week old chick that's pretty caked with poo. A damp rag isn't coming close to making a dent. Suggestions?

Remember that you may have to soak their behinds for a while... this is called pasty butt, and it can kill them. Be gentle about it, but you have to get it off.

I just now finished cleaning the last of a hatch. It was a malformation and assisted hatch, so it took a couple of extra stressful days to get the chick through OK.

It had the sticky feathers mentioned in this thread from the primordial soup that remained because of the slight under development. I wrapped it in a warm wet towel and then carefully drizzled warm water over the chick, avoiding the head, mouth and ears.

That was this morning at 6AM. It's now 10:30A and the chick is developing its downy feathers and is safely accepted by the group. (It's been a long yet rewarding 5 days with every egg assisted due to membranes that were way too tough).

IMG_4844.JPG
I had to bathe one of my silkies, she was covered in watermelon and the other chicks were plucking and eating her feathers... I washed her with warm water and baby shampoo, then wrapped her in a towel, followed by a blow drying on low. She was unsure of the blow dryer at first, but then snuggled down and enjoyed it. She had no issues letting me lift her wings to make sure she was dry everywhere. She is 8-9 weeks old though.

View attachment 1078036 I had to bathe one of my silkies, she was covered in watermelon and the other chicks were plucking and eating her feathers... I washed her with warm water and baby shampoo, then wrapped her in a towel, followed by a blow drying on low. She was unsure of the blow dryer at first, but then snuggled down and enjoyed it. She had no issues letting me lift her wings to make sure she was dry everywhere. She is 8-9 weeks old though.

What a pretty bird!

Provide them with something to take a dustbath in and let them clean themselves.
IMO, chicks getting chilled after a bath will kill them quicker than a little dirt will.
They are programmed to dustbath from birth, so all you have to do is provide the a pan of sand, clean dirt (an oxymoron, I know) or shavings and they will handle the bathing part.
Will DE work for them to use as a dust bath cause thats all I have

For anyone else: I once had two sick chicks out of 25. They both had 'plugs' on their rears. I soaked their rear ends in warm water for 2-5 minute intervals, gradually wiping away and lifting at the edges with warm wet cloth, warm wet Q-tips, rinsing in the warm water, and continued soaking. After about 20 minutes the 'plug' pulled off and a couple of very careful snips with cuticle scissors freed the one or two stuck feathers. Health was restored within the hour.

Does this condition come on all of a sudden? Mine were all fine yesterday, but his morning, two had "stuff" hanging out of their backsides, probably quarter-inch long.

I hate all the bloody murder screaming when they need cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom