bator makers!!! help please......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evonne, Dec 4, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    okay.. so i'm trying to get this little homemade bator finished up so i can start these eggs...

this is a SMALL styrofoam icechest... inside dimensions of 12"x9" and 11" deep

i put a computer fan in it.. and a lightbulb... the light bulb is on a dimmer switch, and the computer fan actually has an adjustment switch w/ 3 speeds...

what i need to know is...

how many vent holes do i need to put in it, and where should i put them??

i'm looking at my still air LG and it has screwdriver size holes in the top and bottom... do i want to do the same with this??
    or do i want to put them on the side?? if on the side, near the top?? near the bottom??
    i screwed this up last time i did it becasue i put too many and it had to be adjusted by covering the vents and uncovering them. at that point the bulb wasn't on a dimmer and there was no fan....

help me please?? i need to get eggs started as soon as i get this stable....

thanx [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would try to match the LG. The bottom ones you can place low on the side if ya want.

3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    will you post a picture of yours? i just got a cooler that size and was wondering if it was too small to use.

4. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    it's not too small, but it's not all that big either....
    can't put a lot of eggs in it if you're using something on the floor space to hold water for humidity... that couls be solved with a shallow dish and a wire floor, but i haven't got any wire around right now and i have sipped eggs that need to start tonight.. lol.. oops.. and i have 2 duck egg and a chicken that need to go on lockdown between tomorrow and sunday... oops...

rofl... i need to build a nice cabinet incubator... but the idea is to get this stable enough to start these in and i'll move them to my still air LG after i get it cleaned from these ducks and the chicken... i'll see if i can get some pics for you real quick..

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I built a small 12v incubator years ago. Heres a pic.
    [​IMG]

6. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    here's what i did with mine.... (click to get the bigger image)

the inside
    [​IMG]

the dimmer switch control for the light
    [​IMG]

and from the front.... i got that piece of plexiglass cheap already cut that size from lowes..
    [​IMG]

now i just need to go poke holes in it... rofl... i'm thinking i will do 3 about 2" up from the bottom on both sides, then do 3 on the front and back edges of the top.... it seems that it will hold temp well... i had to turn the dimmer down once already... so i just need to see what it will stabalize at with the vent holes added then adjust.. YaY... this is my second try, and i think i did good this time...

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I can't help ... I'm an idiot with things like this.
    I do, however, have a piece of hardware cloth wire, that you can have. [​IMG]

I just stopped by to say ....
    WOW, Evonne, you are sure talented! [​IMG]

Here I thought you were just another comedian. But, heck, you have other talents too! [​IMG]

8. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:rofl.. you shoulda seen the interior of my karman ghia i did... the upulstry and the dash were blue leapord print, and the headliner was black teddybear material.. and i have made some pretty kicka$$ costumes... which were not PG rated.. but that was back when i was youngr and had only had one kid.. and most of the pictures have long since been burned...
    the ghia is now in washington wiht my brother and i'm not sure if he replaced the seats or just put covers over them.. not even sure if he's driving it, but i had to give him that in exchange for taking my old piano from my mom's house.. lol.. he never liked the piano, don't know why my mom thought we needed to make that trade....

hubby did help me with the wiring.. i could have done it all myself, but would have taken a few more hours of trial and error.. he just cut and spliced, but i did all the rigging and setup...

my dream incubator is an antique 2 door nightstand/buffet type thing, each side will be sealed, and on seperate controls so that one can be opened without affecting the other.. so i can have one side have turners, and one side will be strictly hatching...

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Your dream incubator sounds like ..... like a dream .... a dream come true type dream! Yea, it sounds great! Do that!

Upholstery like this .... LOL, this is outta one of our old cars! I used it for the chicks to model on! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    lol.. those look like cozy seat covers...
    mine weren't fuzzy... they had a little bit of a velvet feel where the black part/outlide of the spots was, and the blue background was kinda cloudy.. not a solid color... i'll have to scan it.. or see if i have enough left to use it as a backdrop.. lol...
    but they weren't seat covers.. they were actually the seats.. i took the old cracked vinyl apart and used it as a pattern...

ssoooo...................

i have achieved 99.7 degrees... if it holds for an hour i'm loading it up... lol....
    i'm going to MAKE hubby buy me something to read humidity, and plywood and hardware cloth this weekend.. he's bought video games and a new truck and parts for the truck... and he went to dinner with buddies from work last night and spent $60 for just his dinner and beer... i got spagetti with the kids and a cupscout meeting... i deserve a treat...
    i think i'll work on the outdoor brooder.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by