Bay Area BYCers!

OK I was really close on these guys. I just didn't want to ASSUME. LOL

Lunch and Dinner are GLC and I think and someone else mentioned, so makes me feel better, Snack they think is OEGB. IDK, she looks a lot like my Bantam Wellies as chicks. Breakfast may be a self blue or lav OEGB. Snack and Breakfast are pretty close to the same size. Lunch and dinner are wider and bigger than the other 2. I'm going to take another pic of Breakfast when Makayla passes out. She is such a pain when I try to get chick pic. BTW never google chick pics with kids around.

Fat Chick goes from chunky to taller and slimmer and then chunks out again, but as a small chick, I think she was in charge of the feeder. Always the fatest and heaviest. The name just stuck.

FAT CHICK!

44123_fc_fat_chick.jpeg

BTW I had her flying in my kitchen freaking out when I tried to get her to hang with Rockette. Man is she loud!

Hope this one is clearer

44123_fat_chick.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just getting back from a Thanksgiving visit to Mom's in Southern Utah! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! Been catching up this morning....

Cheryl and Stephanie - so sorry to hear about your babies..... And I agree with you Cheryl! They are up there playing non stop fetch and eating all the good stuff! Oh and don't forget the endless belly rubs! I know that that's what my old Lab Misty is in line for!!

I returned home to the first egg from my little Silkie who is still living the single life due to a severe hen pecking and the other silkie being broody!!! I have kicked her off the nest - not litterally - and shut her out of the coop, but she just keeps going right back to the nesting box. I know she moves to let the other hens lay their eggs, cause they are all in one box..... anyone have any suggestions? My boyfriend wants to put a chick under her...... don't think a single chick would be a good idea......
hu.gif

Sandy, I would give her at least 2, that way the chick has a buddy and if something unfortunate were to happen to one chick she would still have another to rear.

Quote:
And the other hens won't bother them? I do want to add a couple more, but afraid that the established hens would bother them.... It would be fun to watch her raise the chicks. She is a REAL sweetheart! Thanks Jeremy!

We slipped 3 Speckled Sussex chicks under our Black Australorp broody hen this past summer. She took to them right away and was an awesome mama for about 4 1/2 weeks before cutting them loose. She protected them from all the other hens and integrated them into the flock. We did worry about them being so young when she stopped mothering them. We blocked off one big nest box and kept them in there at night for protection. But they free ranged all day with the flock and learned how to stay out of the way of the bullies. Our BA went broody again around 2 months later but we decided not to give her chicks that time since it was getting close to fall and colder weather. She remained broody for 3 months and we just took her out of the nest box 2 or 3 times a day. Finally, when the weather turned colder, she decided that enough was enough and abandoned the nest box. No sooner did she stop the broody business then she went right into a hard molt. Poor girl, she has really been through it this year!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh no poor thing! My Black Astrolorp has an attitude so I don't think she would go broody!!!!
big_smile.png

Maybe I'll keep trying to kick my little Chloe out of the nest box so she at least eats and drinks and see if it breaks her. I know Silkies are broody little girls so I'm sure if I can break her she'll do it again......I'll hope it's towards spring and I can find some really special chicks to slip under there....like jubilee orpingtons....... oh I feel chicken math welling up again!!! Darn it! Why are there so many really gorgeous chickens!
droolin.gif

My BA has quite the attitude, too! Her name is "Precious". Talk about misleading!
lol.png
She's the head hen and makes sure everyone knows their place. She was a great mama until that 4 1/2 week mark. It wasn't long before the 3 babies got a dose of her attitude, too. I will say that the 3 that she raised are fantastic foragers and know how to use their little bird brains. They aren't our friendliest birds which is disappointing since I know that Speckled Sussex are known for their personalities. (We fell in love with one of Cheryl's SS at last year's chickenstock.) They are not quite at point of lay so we are hoping that they get friendlier when they start laying eggs. I am guessing that Precious will go broody again this next year. I might have to slip some chicks or fertile eggs under her. But, I'm going to need to move or find someone who wants me to raise chicks for them. I'm a definite chick addict!
wink.png

Well, my last group of "chicks" is finally outside in their newly finished coop. My last hatch of English Orpingtons that are now just over 12 weeks old are finally out of my laundry room.

I'll admit, I'm going to miss their honking in the morning.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom