Bay Area BYCers!

Well, with the warmer temps and longer daylight hours and less rain, my next door neighbor here is stating to a few people about "the chickens and the flies and the honeybees." One person told her to call the police.

There are flies around in warmer weather when there is no wind; I pick up after the girls and there is hardly any poop anywhere that the flies would be on. The compost bin is covered. The poop buckets have rice hull and pine shavings and have no flies. The food troughs and bowl have no flies. Their sandbox and dirt box for dusbathing get regular doses of Sevin and/or DE, and there are no flies there. There are honeybees and carpenter bees (the big black round fuzzy bees) in my wisteria blooms right now. The coop/dog kennel location was ok'd by AC earlier this year. No roosters.

So, this is year #2 of her complaints
barnie.gif
... same complaints, but should she call AC and they come out, everything should be in compliance.
wee.gif

Allison,
Melanie and Donovan didn't want to leave their aunt's house in SF yesterday, but when they heard about the new pullets, they put their shoes on and were ready to be out the door faster than anyone else! When they got home to Berkeley, they raced out to the coop to look at the new girls.
love.gif

Last edited:
Hey Daphne, that's great! I think they will really love them - they are very sweet breeds. Good luck with your neighbor. And you are correct, when they see you are in compliance there will be no problem. In warmer weather there happen to be flies and bees. Pets or not.

Thanks for all the encouragement and positive vibes, Allison
yippiechickie.gif
Thank you !

You'll need to add your latest addition to your signature line ! Hope he's doing well
smile.png

Keep me updated on those chicks
jumpy.gif

Fun work party building pens in Clayton Cinco de Mayo may 5 - 6th. Hopefully I'll have hatching eggs for trade!!

Sorry I can't come Cheryl, not that I would be any physical help anyway. That's the week end of my Ceres Garden Club Plant yard sale & then Hughson Garden Club's Garden tour. I am hoping to get a couple of new chicken lovers on board. The last garden tour I went to highlighted an "in town" home with a cute little chalet coop with a hot pink chandelier in it. She has 2 Cochins in there Fern & Rose......LOL

So Monday was hatch day....Tuesday was shot day and yesterday was rest day! That means today is clean out brooder day and perfect time for photos :p

Blue Langshan Cuteness

Also supposed to be a Blue Langshan, maybe splash? We'll see!

Banty Cochins, fingers crossed for at least 1 frizzle out of the 5 please :)

Last but not least Speckled Sussex cuteness!

The banty cochins were actually under a broody mama who lost her mind I guess....they pipped and she decided she wanted nothing to do with them at that very moment. Crazy mama let those poor babies to fend for themselves :( Guess she doesn't get eggs next time - Bad Cochin!

The others I got mid way through their incubation from a friend who had to move in a hurry. They traveled from her to me on day 15, in a warmed up styrofoam cooler in a cushy egg carton wrapped in a towel. Took about 30 minutes from her house to mine. Where they safely landed in my hovobator for me to stare at for the next 6 days. It was kind of a long shot but 10 out of 12 hatched. So we have 8 new Speckled Sussex a Blue Langshan and possible a splash one. YAY happy babies!

So Monday was hatch day....Tuesday was shot day and yesterday was rest day! That means today is clean out brooder day and perfect time for photos :p

Blue Langshan Cuteness

The banty cochins were actually under a broody mama who lost her mind I guess....they pipped and she decided she wanted nothing to do with them at that very moment. Crazy mama let those poor babies to fend for themselves :( Guess she doesn't get eggs next time - Bad Cochin!

The others I got mid way through their incubation from a friend who had to move in a hurry. They traveled from her to me on day 15, in a warmed up styrofoam cooler in a cushy egg carton wrapped in a towel. Took about 30 minutes from her house to mine. Where they safely landed in my hovobator for me to stare at for the next 6 days. It was kind of a long shot but 10 out of 12 hatched. So we have 8 new Speckled Sussex a Blue Langshan and possible a splash one. YAY happy babies!
adorable.

@jtaylormade - gorgeous babies!

It seems like it doesn't matter how many of these little guys we have sitting in our own brooders, you never tire of looking at someone else's little cuties :) The speckled sussex is my favorite.

Blue Langshan Cuteness

Cute!!! And they are 2 of my favorite breeds!!! :)

Just had to share this with you all! Maybe someone else has had this happen so I won't feel so strange! I was fixing dinner last night when I felt like something was on my eyelid. I looked in the mirror and there was a huge hematoma right above my left eyelid! I called the Kaiser advice nurse. She had me put an ice pack on it to bring down the swelling plus stop the bleeding. I woke up to a serious shiner! My whole eyelid is black and it is spreading to underneath my eye. I don't remember hitting it on anything. How strange is that?! This is my first black eye and it's going to be with me for a while! Monet says that it looks like I used Sharpie marker for eye make-up! It's a beauty, isn't it?!!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom