Bay Area BYCers!

I'm on my phone so I can't quote. But stick the quail eggs in. They won't last very long as shipped quail eggs
You are answering me, right?
smile.png
I stuck them in but the timing is going to be lousy. I keep going over and over it in my head. My chicks are due to hatch the day before Easter and the quail are supposed to go into lockdown that night. At lockdown for the chicks, I'm going to remove 2 of the turner bars and place the chicken eggs in egg cartons inside of a Costco grape container. The humidity is going to be high for the quail for 4 days longer than it should but I figure if I get even a few to hatch, at least that's better than setting shipped eggs that are 3 weeks older. Who knows how old they were before they were shipped?! If I had ask for and gotten a different breed of quail with a shorter incubation period, it would have worked out better. Or if they had arrived the same day as the incubator, I would have waited to set the chicken eggs. Oh, well! If I get a few out of the 30 to hatch, that's way more quail than I ever planned on having!

To bad you are so far from me as I would definately be interested in one of your boys seeing that they are so far along. I just lost my Blue Orp male a week ago. Was planning on offering eggs for sale from the 2 hens I have. But it will have to wait until I get another Orp male. I am looking for a blue male. Thank goodness I do have a bunch of thier eggs in the incubator before he died. So hoping to get a few boys to choose from but that means waiting at least 6 mos until they are sexually mature to be able to get more babies.

Hello mustangsaguaro,

I am very sorry about the loss of your rooster. I hope you can find a worthy rooster in a timely manner.

My husband works in San Francisco, and he could bring the chick with him. My boys are quite nice. Their father is a very large, correct type, % 100 English Orp. At the age of 6 1/2 weeks, their weight ranges between 2 to 2 3/4 pounds. The mothers are American, and English. I have only 1 blue boy, and couple of lovely lavender. If it would work for you, please do PM., me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
You might be able to sell your extra boys to Western Farm Supply on 7th St in Santa Rosa. Most feed stores in Sonoma County buy excess chickens. Males and females.

I noticed that you mentioned our famous clay soil here..I think in the Orp thread.. There are ways to get around that. I live on Occidental Rd, so I have similar clay to deal with and I raise a lot of white birds. It can be done........even if they are fluffy.

Walt
Hello Walt,

Thank you for the info. about the Western F S. Interestingly, even though I have been buying all my supplies from WFS. for many years, never crossed my mind to take them there. Very good idea. I am hoping to find homes where they will not be processed.

Yes, you are correct; my post was at the Orp. thread. I would appreciate if you please elaborate on how you are able to manage keep your birds skirts dry & clean. I was able to come up with two solutions: 1- trim their skirts as high as possible, which they end up making my beautiful birds pathetic. I have no talent when it comes to scissoring my animals; very embarrassing!
2- keep them locked up where they end up with a terrible case of cabin fever. They are used to free ranging. Well, if they are not locked up, I end up with mud-chickens which I have to wash & dry constantly. I would not ever dare to have white chickens.

How nice, and lucky that you live by Occidental Rd. I love that beautiful area, and visit quite often. Well, it is one of the favorite destinations of the artists.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Lualshannon, I have a Jubilee orp hen I would be happy for you to add to your flock, if you would like.

Hello chicken tows,
Yes, I would love to have a Jubilee Orp. hen. Mine are blue, black and lavender. Would you please tell me her age, and which lines she comes from? Also, what is her price? Do you have any photos of her? I am quite touched with your offer; thank you! Actually, would you please PM. your reply?

Hello mustangsaguaro,

I am very sorry about the loss of your rooster. I hope you can find a worthy rooster in a timely manner.

My husband works in San Francisco, and he could bring the chick with him. My boys are quite nice. Their father is a very large, correct type, % 100 English Orp. At the age of 6 1/2 weeks, their weight ranges between 2 to 2 3/4 pounds. The mothers are American, and English. I have only 1 blue boy, and couple of lovely lavender. If it would work for you, please do PM., me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Hello Walt,

Thank you for the info. about the Western F S. Interestingly, even though I have been buying all my supplies from WFS. for many years, never crossed my mind to take them there. Very good idea. I am hoping to find homes where they will not be processed.

Yes, you are correct; my post was at the Orp. thread. I would appreciate if you please elaborate on how you are able to manage keep your birds skirts dry & clean. I was able to come up with two solutions: 1- trim their skirts as high as possible, which they end up making my beautiful birds pathetic. I have no talent when it comes to scissoring my animals; very embarrassing!
2- keep them locked up where they end up with a terrible case of cabin fever. They are used to free ranging. Well, if they are not locked up, I end up with mud-chickens which I have to wash & dry constantly. I would not ever dare to have white chickens.

How nice, and lucky that you live by Occidental Rd. I love that beautiful area, and visit quite often. Well, it is one of the favorite destinations of the artists.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The Orps I had did not have skirts. The APA description states that you should be able to see the hocks of an Orpington. The British Orps have the excess fluff around the legs. I used a substrate of straw to keep my birds off the clay. I use a lot of straw here. I show a lot of white birds, so it has worked for me. just a lot of work.

Walt

I was looking at the Scratch and Peck website to see if there was a place closer than Davis to get their grower feed (Azure Standard has only the starter and layer presently,) and Scratch and Peck listed

Pollinate Farm & Garden
2727 Fruitvale Avenue
Oakland, CA 94601

Does anyone know anything about this place? Jeremy, Allison do you know anything about this business? Their website says they will open March 2013.

Daphne, I haven't heard anything about it actually... I've been "out of the loop" of sorts lately within the urban ag scene in Oakland, school has kept me incredibly busy this semester. Anyways, I'll definitely stop by when they open up and report back with my findings.
smile.png

My baby Orpingtons are 6 wks. old. They are growing so fast, or I should say: too fast...

6 wks. ago, day after they arrived to add joy into our lives..

The OE who is simply a joy. He started to crow at 5 wk. old which was a complete surprise! When we first heard him, I thought there was something wrong with him; it did not sound like a crow. It was like a out of tune, very low pitch, toy horn. As a baby chick, did not have his puffy cheeks, and throat. Well, his comb is different as well.
Hi Lual, they look really healthy. You've done a great job raising them.

Hello Walt,

just chiming in, WFS took my two extra boys last summer -- definitely a good option!

and also wanted to say hello, as i technically live in Penngrove too -- am up here on Sonoma Mtn. *waving to my Sonoma Co. neighbors*!

Back
Top Bottom