Bay Area BYCers!

I'm sorry! I missed the question.
I use tidy cat litter and it comes in plastic boxes with a lid. The lid is hinged. I put feed in it, hinged side down and the lid is like a ramp. My chickens throw feed out of a galvanized feeder everywhere but they like to perch and eat with the tidy cat feeders and don't waste anything.

If only they were not bright yellow with logos on them!
I love it! I don't have cats anymore, but I would imagine any of the heavier cardboard boxes with hinged lids would work. And I could see them perching on the edge.... mmmmm maybe I could convince my neighbor to use tidy cat next month!!! :) And you're right, the logo is bright... thanks for the information!!!

My baby Orpingtons are 6 wks. old. They are growing so fast, or I should say: too fast...

6 wks. ago, day after they arrived to add joy into our lives..

The OE who is simply a joy. He started to crow at 5 wk. old which was a complete surprise! When we first heard him, I thought there was something wrong with him; it did not sound like a crow. It was like a out of tune, very low pitch, toy horn. As a baby chick, did not have his puffy cheeks, and throat. Well, his comb is different as well.

My baby Orpingtons are 6 wks. old. They are growing so fast, or I should say: too fast...

6 wks. ago, day after they arrived to add joy into our lives..

The OE who is simply a joy. He started to crow at 5 wk. old which was a complete surprise! When we first heard him, I thought there was something wrong with him; it did not sound like a crow. It was like a out of tune, very low pitch, toy horn. As a baby chick, did not have his puffy cheeks, and throat. Well, his comb is different as well.

Cute juvies! I love when they're at that age, when they've got most of their feathers in and just look like tiny versions of their adult-selves.

It looks like you have a bunch of boys there though, do you plan on keeping them all?

Cute juvies! I love when they're at that age, when they've got most of their feathers in and just look like tiny versions of their adult-selves.

It looks like you have a bunch of boys there though, do you plan on keeping them all?

Thank you! Raising these adorable babies has been a complete joy, and wonderful experience. I love the whimsical stage they are in.

Yes, I do have number of boys, and the time is here for me to face the unpleasant dilemma of finding homes for my boys. Unfortunately, I will only be able to keep 3 boys until I decide which one to keep. If they get along with each other when they reach sexual maturity, I would like to keep all three, but, still, I will be left with good number to find homes for.

I am aware that, processing boys for consumption is a common practice; but, I am a vegetarian, and I simply can not do that. I don't even consume fertile eggs. Now I am faced with the much dreaded task of trying to figure out how to go about finding homes where my baby boys will not become dinner. I shall miss each and everyone deeply; but I don't believe it will be good idea for me to keep twice as many boys than girls..

The gorgeous girl on your avatar is simply stunning!

Yes, I do have number of boys, and the time is here for me to face the unpleasant dilemma of finding homes for my boys. Unfortunately, I will only be able to keep 3 boys until I decide which one to keep. If they get along with each other when they reach sexual maturity, I would like to keep all three, but, still, I will be left with good number to find homes for.

To bad you are so far from me as I would definately be interested in one of your boys seeing that they are so far along. I just lost my Blue Orp male a week ago. Was planning on offering eggs for sale from the 2 hens I have. But it will have to wait until I get another Orp male. I am looking for a blue male. Thank goodness I do have a bunch of thier eggs in the incubator before he died. So hoping to get a few boys to choose from but that means waiting at least 6 mos until they are sexually mature to be able to get more babies.

On another note. I have excess males for sale if anyone is interested. This is what I have to offer:

I have 5 male birds that need new homes asap. I need to make room for my up and coming chicks. The following are available and would like them gone by this upcoming weekend if possible.

1 Lavender Ameraucana Rooster, 2yrs old, $10
1 Paint Silkie Rooster, just turned a year old, $10
2 Lavender Ameraucana cockerels, both 5 mos old, $5 ea
1 Silkie (not sure of color, is suppose to be porcelain/isabel; but is not), 4
mos old, $5

I know most people don't want males or they want to get them for free. However,I am asking a small price for them to help offset feed costs. The amount I am asking for them is very little compared to what it costs to feed them.

Prices are firm. If you want to take them all I will give you a discount but must take all for the discount. Pics available upon request. These are all PETQUALITY birds. But if you are wanting to breed they would be a great start. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I am located in the Morgan Hill/Gilroy area. Must be able to pick up or make arrangements for transportation if you live a ways away. Possible delivery available if you live close by or if I am travelling to your area.

PM me if you are interested in any of these birds. I can get pics if interested.

Thanks

Thank you! Raising these adorable babies has been a complete joy, and wonderful experience. I love the whimsical stage they are in.

I am aware that, processing boys for consumption is a common practice; but, I am a vegetarian, and I simply can not do that. I don't even consume fertile eggs. Now I am faced with the much dreaded task of trying to figure out how to go about finding homes where my baby boys will not become dinner. I shall miss each and everyone deeply; but I don't believe it will be good idea for me to keep twice as many boys than girls..

The gorgeous girl on your avatar is simply stunning!

You might be able to sell your extra boys to Western Farm Supply on 7th St in Santa Rosa. Most feed stores in Sonoma County buy excess chickens. Males and females.

I noticed that you mentioned our famous clay soil here..I think in the Orp thread.. There are ways to get around that. I live on Occidental Rd, so I have similar clay to deal with and I raise a lot of white birds. It can be done........even if they are fluffy.

Walt

You might be able to sell your extra boys to Western Farm Supply on 7th St in Santa Rosa. Most feed stores in Sonoma County buy excess chickens. Males and females.

Walt

Walt-

I am a bit far from Santa Rosa. I am down south of San Jose (Morgan Hill/Gilroy area). But I suppose I could go to two local feed stores I know that do sell chickens and see if they would take them.

Thanks
Kim

Back
Top Bottom