Bay Area BYCers!

Is there anyone in the Oakland/Berkeley area selling 1-3 day old chicks? Our broody hen only hatched 2 out of 12 eggs and we want to slip a few more chicks under her before she gives up. We're not picky about breeds.

I'm in Orinda and work in Berkeley. I'm running a hatch project for school and may have some chicks at the end of it that need a home. I only set the eggs on Sunday though so they need another 3 weeks. If you can wait that long let me know and I'll let you know how things progress. Otherwise, if you can make it out to Pleasant Hill "Concord Farm & Feed" they have regular shipments of chicks. You can check on their website for what they have currently or are expecting in.

Does anyone in the immediate Berkeley/Oakland/SF area have any young hens for sale: presently laying or will be soon? Since i lost a hen recently I need replacements. Would like 2 if anyone can help. Message me is you can.

Cheers!

I was in a similar situation recently (or at least I thought I was, but that's another story). I tried Craigslist and there were random people selling laying hens. Fremont seems to be a hot bed of adult chicken sales for some reason!

Dawn! Hi! How are ya?!
frow.gif
Howdy right back atcha! I finally had a minute and started thinking about chickens again! (No--Joe and ladies are all fine...I've just been busy.) We just finished a new barn and are putting in grapes next month! Things are buzzing up here!

I have some excess birds I have available for sale. I need to make room for chicks. I have 50 chicks due to hatch this weekend. I need to rehome my excess birds ASAP. I need them gone by this weekend. I have 5 birds that need to go by this weekend. I have the following:
1 paint silkie rooster (just turned 1 yr old)
1 silkie cockerel, 4 mos
2 Lavender Ameraucanas cockerels, 5 ½ mos
1 Lavender Ameraucana rooster, 2yrs

None of these birds are hatchery/feed store stock . They all come from my own breeding stock or from eggs I purchased from other breeders. Make me an offer. If you take all of them will give you a discount.

I am located in the Morgan Hill/Gilroy area. Must be able to pick up. I can deliver if somewhat local. If you live far away and are interested you need to make some type of arrangement for transport to you. PM if interested. Pics available upon request.

Howdy right back atcha! I finally had a minute and started thinking about chickens again! (No--Joe and ladies are all fine...I've just been busy.) We just finished a new barn and are putting in grapes next month! Things are buzzing up here!
What a beautiful barn! I have serious barn envy!!!

Wish I could help with pics, but my phone brough and saving for another.

I just started moving all of my quail into new pens. I'm done with wood, so I use PVC and wire. I fastsen then together with zipties and then go back through and wire them together. The good thing about the PVC is you can buy a hand cutter, You can sve small pieces to use when you make waterers and feeders, trim work on another pen, you can make them like a 4 corner cage or leave longer PVC for raising off the ground. I use scrap pieces of plywood so they have something besides wire to walk on and a big nesting box, which never never use for laying, but it's good for getting out of the weather and sleeping in. It's so much easier to clean these than the wood. When I spray them down I know there's no wood to hide in other than the nesting box and the plywood resting places, but I take those out and clean them well. I use PVC feeders and waterers. The feeders work well for keeping the feed in. Quail are messy and smelly, so I this setup better than any others I've had. I'm working on one that has 2 levels, but what I have right now is only one level. There's a plan online that's made of PVC that I'm going to use to hang rabbit cages, but I'm thinking it would be great to use for the quail also. That way I can take them down if I need to. Quail don't need much, but they need to be kept clean. My chickens can go for a long time, but like I said, quail are pretty smelly if they don't have a place for poop to be removed easily, and they seem to like to get it on the frames, so I was always scraping the wood down.

Dave,

I'd say they start sounding more like "grown ups" around 4 to 5ish months old, depending on the breed. By the time they start laying they'll definitely have found their voices!
tongue.png

As far as wing clipping goes, I typically don't clip the wings on my birds at all. If they have everything they need (fresh water, plenty of food, a safe place to avoid predators) they should stay close to home a.k.a their coop.

Thanks very much, Jeremy. I'll take your advice about the wing-clipping, too.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom