Bay Area BYCers!

In the past whenever we've gotten new animals, more specifically a kitten or a puppy, the first thing I do once they're settled in at home is take them out to the chicken run and drop them in the middle. They've always froze as the flock circles around them, feathers ruffled out and heads down low. The bravest birds will come in for a peck or two and the kittens and puppies learned very quickly to stay clear of the chickens!

In my experience introductions this way have gone well, with no harm done to either the chickens or the furry kids, it usually quells any curiosity the furry babies may have about the birds too. They learn from the beginning that the chickens are boss and aren't to be messed with.
tongue.png

Now they're all pals.

In the past whenever we've gotten new animals, more specifically a kitten or a puppy, the first thing I do once they're settled in at home is take them out to the chicken run and drop them in the middle. They've always froze as the flock circles around them, feathers ruffled out and heads down low. The bravest birds will come in for a peck or two and the kittens and puppies learned very quickly to stay clear of the chickens!

In my experience introductions this way have gone well, with no harm done to either the chickens or the furry kids, it usually quells any curiosity the furry babies may have about the birds too. They learn from the beginning that the chickens are boss and aren't to be messed with.
tongue.png

Now they're all pals.

Introduced the cats to the chicks, but they ended up attacking the cats later anyway! (that's a great idea, just turning it around, lol). :)

My little OEGB at the age of 3 weeks is the size of a normal size new born chick. He is very sweet, friendly and when given the chance, excellent flier : )

Walt Leonard-fowlman01- bird

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom