Bay Area BYCers!

I have a bantam Orpington pair for sale.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/985010/updated-bantam-orpington-pair

Also... one of my bantam hens went broody! It's like the universe was listening!
lol.png

I need to rehome a pair- a Gold Sex Link Rooster and a Black Sex Link Pullet. Both are 3 months old and very sweet. The rooster has to go because of our city laws, and the Pullet would be so sad without him, and we cant integrate her into our existing coop when she is all alone.
We are in Davis but could easily get the chickens to you anywhere in the bay area.
I'm really hoping to find someone who doesnt plan to make them into dinner, my kids are very worries about that.

Hi, there!
Can anybody describe your experience of raising ducks in backyard? I really likes duck eggs
droolin.gif
thinking of raising 2 ducks in backyard for eggs. But I am in residential area, not sure how much noise that ducks will bring in. I already feel guilty for my chicken's egg songs, they start to ge-ge-ge-da at 6, 7am these days
duc.gif
. Not sure what ducks will bring in? Also will it be hard to raise ducks than chicken? I only know of ducks like water v.s chicken doesn't.

Thanks,

@OhDear raising ducks is a lot more difficult than chickens it takes lots of time and work. Once the ducks grow to a certain age they are super noisy infact I was forced to get rid of my ducks due to the noise. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi, there!
Can anybody describe your experience of raising ducks in backyard? I really likes duck eggs
droolin.gif
thinking of raising 2 ducks in backyard for eggs. But I am in residential area, not sure how much noise that ducks will bring in. I already feel guilty for my chicken's egg songs, they start to ge-ge-ge-da at 6, 7am these days
duc.gif
. Not sure what ducks will bring in? Also will it be hard to raise ducks than chicken? I only know of ducks like water v.s chicken doesn't.

Thanks,

Look into muscovies. They hiss rather than quack and I've heard they can roost too (unlike ducks). Supposed to be good fly eaters.

I was considering getting a couple of ducks, but they are noisy, so now thinking of muscovies (because I really NEED more animals!). Going to wait until next year, though, when hopefully the threat of avian influenza is past.

Hi, there!
droolin.gif
duc.gif

Thanks,
You are right ducks do like water & given that they are messier than chickens. As to noise they can be noisy but I don't think that much more than chickens. The nes I had were egg laying machines. I don't know what the egg production is for Muscovies but it would be rasy for you to find out. Metzer Farmes in Gonzales near Salinas is where I got mine. I loved the eggs for baking. Good luck to you. BTW they are fly eaters big time.

Thank you all for the inputs. They are all very valuable for me to make decision. I guess I will do more researches, and see how it goes... Have a great weekend!

Once ducks are grown I think they are a whole lot easier to raise and keep than chickens. I have 500 birds here and half are waterfowl. Some female ducks can be noisy, but usually the larger the duck the less noise it makes., I have about 50 Runner ducks here and they are champion layers and I don't think they are noisy at all. Sometimes during breeding season they make noise, but they are not like the bantam ducks. There are very few chickens that will lay like Runner ducks do and the eggs are bigger.. Muscovys are quite, but they only lay a few clutches a year and don't lay all year like Runner ducks do.

In addition they are not dropping dead all the time like the chickens I read about here on BYC. A young duck has to be pretty mcuh hit by a truck to die before they are 10. I have ducks here over 10 years old that are laying like champs.....all year long. If you set your yard up right, ducks are easy keepers and not all that messy when adults. If you cram them in an 8 X 10 cage they will be messy.....if they have room they will not be messy.

Walt

Look into muscovies.  They hiss rather than quack and I've heard they can roost too (unlike ducks).  Supposed to be good fly eaters.

I was considering getting a couple of ducks, but they are noisy, so now thinking of muscovies (because I really NEED more animals!). Going to wait until next year, though, when hopefully the threat of avian influenza is past.

I have Muscovy. They are not loud and except for poop not super messy. But they are not champion layers that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom