Bay Area BYCers!

I have my first half dozen eggs this season but they are from my mix red/brown chickens. My ranch hand sometimes just shows up with hens. Ugh. But they DO lay eggs at least. He also brough two banties this time and I have two of their eggs. These are all plus whatever I get this am. When my BCM and welsummer start to lay I'll have those but as of yesterday not yet. My cuckoo girls are older so start late spring now. The Roos are BCM, welsummer or frizzle bantie ( I don't think my big cuckoo boy is fertile). I am picking up three laying cuckoo hens and two Roos today too. We are gonna be full up!! I have 9 chicks hatched so far and 5 more viable eggs that could go any minute!

eta: I have four of the bantie eggs as of now, the bantie roo is a black frizzle type with a pea comb (and HUGE spurs, need to take care of that..) the hens are one black, and one is... hmmm... whitish with pencilling and I can't describe her...
and I have some from the other hens too, getting about 5 a day today, so let me know if you are interested. I promised a dozen BCM and Welsummer to my friend in Oakdale this next Thursday, have four for her, but if you want one or two I might have them sometime this week if they cooperate.

Last edited:
SO... I just got back from Stockton. It was my first chicken show besides the Santa Cruz fair. First impressions: Alot of birds. A large double gymnasium style expo building for the Large Fowl and Waterfowl. Another for banties and game. I am not used to game or banties.. they are tiny. The sale barn was chaotic, packed with people. Not a ton of interesting large fowl present. Some nice Salmon Fav... they are pretty in person, some beautiful egyptian geese($50 each), nice Buff Catalana($150 trio), a really pretty pair of SQ Australorp($150), and the trio of Minorca($75). There was a ton of small guys. Banties, Game and Call ducks were everywhere, oh, and silkies... trippy little birds.
I met a few BYC folk, and had a great time admiring chooks. Highlights for me were a huge Buff Orpington cock, the Salmon fav were many, the variety of Ameracauna colors, particularly a silver duckwing cock, , and the Marans table was inspiring. I was caught by the bud and purchased three BCM(clean legged, a sin I know, but for me ideal),from
Pete Ovalle, and the trio of Minorca. Definitely worth the drive and time if you can make it next year.

Luke, were there any BW Ameraucana present?

I'm considering showing one of my girls at some of the upcoming spring shows/fairs.

Quote:
I can hatch you one... or two... or...
big_smile.png

Jeremy, it is funny you asked. I though of you when I saw the pullet and cock. There may have been two cocks, I canot recall in the mass of chicken memories. They were pretty. I will have to get some when yours start.
On another note, I was also struck by the Shamo and Aseel. They are so much more predatory looking. They watch what is going on more closely and for longer than other chooks. You feel like G.W. in an afghan bar walking by those birds. They stop and stare you down.

Well it's raining here in Oakland, I let the birds out despite the crummy weather though. We have A LOT of tree cover, so most of the big drops fall on the trees then meet us as a fine misting. I feel more like I'm in the PNW most days than in the Bay Area...
roll.png

I'm just glad most of my birds are LF and can handle this cold wet weather well. Of course I'll be saying the exact opposite thing during the heat of the summer when the chooks are panting with their wings held out.

I had planned on painting my Orpington coop today, yellow and white, guess that idea is out... thanks Mr. Meterologist!
smack.gif

Last edited:
yep, rain started here yesterday evening, rained all night mostly and a few good showers this morning already.

I didn't make it to Stockton, perhaps next year.

Back
Top Bottom