Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
I don't know what you got the first time but the chipmunk markings are the correct coloring for silver babies. Male and female. Maybe the first one you got was mixed?
idunno.gif

He came from Lavs

Forgot what I was gonna post. LOL

I figured out what's going on with the egg eating. Caught it before it happened today. There are nest boxes all over the place. Coops and even on my porch. There are three on the porch. These dingy birds have been climbing in the boxes, sometimes 4 at a time. Today, don't ask me how, but there were SIX! They were even stuck in there. Legs wrapped around necks, tails hanging out, Heads hanging out. They crushed every egg that had been laid. I had to scoop them out from under one of my Games who is in there now, laying. Three BCM eggs from my Davis girls! There were 2 more boxes right there, plus the ones in the coops. No they have to pile in one all at once. Except of course my only green layer, who thought she had hidden her egg. I wish the weather was JUST comfortable for me to get things done out there without aching. I have to rig up a rolling nest box.

Mine do the same thing! I have 7 nests and they all fight to use one! They will use one other if they just can't wait but that is only 2 nests out of 7 that they are using. All of the nests are identical except the 4 on one wall are 3/4 of an inch skinnier. You think they miss that 3/4 of an inch?
lol.png

Jeremy I am the same way about showing my birds. I have a black ameraucana roo that is absolutlely drop dead gorgeous (except for 1 little flaw of a little tuft of fluff at the base of his tail which I'm hoping will dissappear with his first major molt) but I am scared to death to take a chance of showing him! I would be devastated if I lost him! How would I replace him? I went through 4 others before deciding he was the keeper and don't want to go through that again!
hmm.png
On the other hand I do have 2 black ameraucana girls that lay the most beautiful blue eggs! They are a little on the small side. Not sure if that matters since ameraucanas are not considered big egg layers in general. My wheaton girls lay a nice egg but it is a tad teal colored which I love but I know this doesn't match the standard perfectly. They are a lot bigger though!
smile.png

PetRock, red bulbs are used when one of the chicks have been pecked to the point of bleeding. The red light nuetralizes the color of blood so they stop pecking at the injury. Keep that red light handy in case this happens but otherwise a plain white light is just fine.
thumbsup.gif

I'm totally confused about my broody situation. Mocha is the Barnevelder who had been broody for a week now. 4 days ago I put eggs under her. My alpha Orp, Gwen, joined her, even though Gwen no longer lays. Today, I saw Mocha in the yard, still looking broody. I figured she was having a brief stroll. I looked in the nest box to check the eggs and found Java, her sister Barnie, sitting on the nest hissing at me. Yikes! Do they ever form a broody team? Java is still laying. Mocha has stopped. I know I'm not seeing things. Mocha is the broody mama. It will be interesting to see if Mocha goes back to the nest later.
idunno.gif

Thanks for the reassurance, Boo. I guess it really does take a village.
smile.png

Well, just checked, and Mocha is back on the nest. Everyone else is out sunbathing. (OMG, we have sun?!?)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies about fertile eggs! Sorry I couldnt get back on to update but we did end up finding a couple dozen eggs on cl. Should be some olive eggers with marans and welsummers. Should be sweet! I can see we are going to be looking for eggs often. Hatching is a blast! xD

Back
Top Bottom