Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
Not canned, quite, but this week I'm working on venison jerky. Shall I tempt you?
lol.png

oh yeah!

The silvers Jeremy. To me that pattern says pullet, but I know they can change. If it's not two pullets it's a pair. JMO

Well, I'll be glad to know that out of the 4 straight run Ameraucanas I have at least 1 pullet! Last year which was our first year with chickens, we bought 7 sexed pullets and they all ended up being girls. This year we have 2 sexed pullets and 7 straight run chicks. Sure hope we don't end up with more than 50% roos!

Quote:
OH

How goes the hatch?

Did everything work out?

I helped that one a little, loosened the top a bit it came out and seems to be doing ok, 5 are out now, can see one more pip right now
big_smile.png

Quote:
OH

How goes the hatch?

Did everything work out?

I helped that one a little, loosened the top a bit it came out and seems to be doing ok, 5 are out now, can see one more pip right now
big_smile.png

woot.gif
ya.gif

Come on chickies!

Quote:
I agree with Kim on the silvers. Looks like a pair. Cosette looks like a girl to me too but give it a few more days. You will know for sure in a week! Course I'm always in denial about which ones are boys vs girls so I'm not the best person to depend on for answers regarding gender.
tongue.png

BTW, Kim you did a great job picking out babies for me! I told you I wanted at least 2 boys and that's what I got! 2 boys! The other one that I thought was a boy has some much lighter feathers coming in and there is no doubt anymore that he is a she.
smile.png
As long as I have a pair of boys to pick from I'm happy. Just wanted to have a choice for my breeding program. Including my 2 wheaten hens, I now have 5 girls and 2 boys. Sure hope one of these boys turns out to be an awesome roo.
fl.gif

Quote:
Cheryl,

Bummer about Sir Giles .. he is sooo handsome and just perfect looking, photo ready!

OTOH, your four girls all had eggs today.
D.gif
Lizzie's was first, and, in proportion to her, is huge. Even my husband said so. They hung around the patio before going to bed, so all four had some string cheese as a bedtime snack.
love.gif

I got 6 BCM eggs for cochin #2, Esperanaza. They are from the Bev Davis - Jean Wade(?) line ... pure BCM ... so, you might get some chicks for your little friend for his bday if you're interested.

Dawn,

We were at WF today. Except for some turkeys and some S/Rs, they were completely sold out of chicks. Monica said they sold 650 chicks one morning before noon. I spoke to JP, and he says in an order of 300 chicks, they may have 1 dead chick in the delivery .. that's very good.
wee.gif
Right now, they can't even get chick orders filled, as there aren't any available from all the large hatcheries.
hu.gif
We had a nice chat with both Monica and JP about the chick-chicken business/popularity. Larry was back from attending a Bd. of Directors mtg, probably at SRJC? .. he's such a sweet guy.

Renee,

Esperanaza, broody cochin #2, is OK .. I placed the 6 BCM eggs under her and she didn't even try to peck me. We'll move her out from the shed corner tomorrow or Friday into a nice nest box in the coop, at the other end from broody cochin #1, whom we are making a crate for.

Debi, did you ever get some relief on that red belly on Miss Omelet?

Gads, the chicks are everywhere!
lol.png
I'm down to 6 babies, since a friend took 4 of them. I should be getting the eggs from Trisha tomorrow.
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Sunny, I didn't post this yet, but yesterday, whattheflock's Silver Am pullet finally laid a huge blue egg. She waited a year to do it. Crazy!! He said it was so big that she must have been saving up. He's hoping there will be another soon.
fl.gif

Thank you for asking! She is still limping but eating, foraging, laying, etc. Her stomach is still red. I'm just watching her and slipping her some extra protein. I hope that it is just a muscle strain/sprain and that she will get better on her own.

HI All,
I need to get on the Blehm Ameraucana chick sexing wagon, I guess. (Did that come out right???) The little silver and the white are soooo funny! Silver dude/dudette? just wants UP. On my lap, on my shoulder. UP.

But, before I ask about the photos...
Is anyone else getting absolutely ginormous eggs? I've had three in the past week! Double size, from 2 maybe three different hens.
Daphne! I should have met you at WF! I was there around 4pm today... I see they are getting top-hats and salmon favorelles Thursday...
Truevalentine: Good luck! This chick thing is stressful...

Rehoming two of the Icelandic dudes...anyone want an eight week old really friendly Icelandic cockerel? Three boys are two too many! They are super-duper friendly and curious (this is not code for anything else!), have the softest, softest feathers I have ever felt! They aren't terribly big--my guess is they'll top out at 6 pound roos. Follow you around like puppies...
Showing beautiful coloration. The other is similar
65263_icey_female_back.jpg

Today's shots of the 4 week old Ameraucanas. Sexing guesses?? And does anyone else have a huge size differential? The Lavenders and one silver are still teeny...
Sleepy Silver and White
65263_am_snugglers_4_weeks.jpg

65263_ams_snoozing_on_my_lap.jpg

Wheaton, Buff, wheaton
the second wheaton was always a darker yellow than the first...
65263_am_wheatons_flanking_buff_4_weeks.jpg

Lav--who I though had cow-hocks (knock-knees??), but it has resolved itself and it walks pretty upright and straight now
65263_imag0288.jpg

My Blehm chicks are already outside with the big kids, or I would post pictures too. I have 2 confirmed pullets and 1 light colored cockerel or darker Wheaten pullet... time will tell. Dawn, it looks like you have 2 pretty Wheaten pullets there, IMO.

As for my Silvers...
idunno.gif
They're crazy, flighty little things. I do hope at least one is a girl.

I just put 16 Blue Wheaten Ameraucana eggs from Wayne Meredith into lockdown!
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom