Bay Area BYCers!

Cheryl you just need 2 free days and some constant watch and motion oh and a crate helps too.

Pups relieve a lot! Like every 20 minutes. It's a timing thing.

Quote:
DITTO! It's been an uber-broody year for me, as well, in the Midwest! If I gave eggs to each & every one, I'd have chicks coming out my ears!
th.gif

My problem this year was that I did give eggs to each and every one!
th.gif

So now I've got lots of youngin's running around and it's time to thin down the flock again before the rainy season starts...

Just when you think you've gotten to a managable number...
he.gif
big_smile.png

Hey Jeremy,

This isn't my best pic (kinda blurry--she moved right when I was snapping the picture, plus I have a lower quality camera phone), but this is one of the blue/wheaten ameraucana offspring Linda gave me as a week-old chick. She gave me 2. This one is Doris, and the other one is Barbara. Barbara was out foraging with the others when I was outside with my camera phone. Every single one of the chicks she hatched from your eggs turned out to be a pullet. There were no cockerels in the group--not even one!

For a while, I was going to rehome them because they had clean faces, but they suddenly developed big, beautiful beards.

Anyway, here is Doris, chilling out in the manzanita tree. I'll get a better picture of her and get a picture of Barbara to show you, too.

59404_doris_in_tree.jpeg

Quote:
Yay, thank you for the update! I would love to see more pictures of her and her sister.
smile.png

I'm honestly a bit concerned and intrigued by her color... she almost looks like she has mottling going on or something??? The blue markings throughout her body shouldn't be there, she should be a creamy Wheaten color all over.

Of all the folks who hatched chicks from me this is the first I've seen like this, I wonder if there's some recessive mottling gene hiding that I didn't know about??? If you can get some clearer pictures that would be great, I'm going to ask a few of the Ameraucana folks what they think is going on with her color

The sister does not look like that AT ALL. In fact, until about 6 weeks ago, I couldn't tell Doris and Barbara apart. The blue mottling just showed up around the middle of August out of nowhere! None of Linda's chickens look like this, either. She's the only one with the blue mottling.

There must be a recessive gene or something, but everyone that comes over says she's the most strikingly beautiful of all the birds in my flock.

And both of the BWA girls are very sweet and will readily sit on our shoulders and peck through our hair to see if we have piojos.

ETA: My landlady is going to let me use her digital camera later to get clearer pics, and I'll post them either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
hehehe no worries, Cheryl. It's all good.
smile.png

(BTW, I'm Jerrilynn... rhymes with Marilyn or Carolyn but starts with a J. It is not pronounced Jerry-Lynn as so many people try to say. I think my mom was braindead, too, when she filled out my birth certificate LOL).

Quote:
LOL yes I know who you are...just in overwhelm mode lately - making a ton of decisions and changes with my breeding flocks and running after this little 10 wk old puppy. I'm pulling my hair out
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom