Bay Area BYCers!

Hi! I am located in the Santa Cruz mountains! :)

Hi!
frow.gif
Welcome to the nut house, er, I mean,
welcome-byc.gif

I don't know anything about a silkie breeder, but I'm sure there's someone around here that will help. I just piped in to keep the crickets from chirping.

Hi Steph,
Happy Summer Vacation time for you yet??
wee.gif

Allison,
My Berkeley family says the three pullets from you are now running to the coop door to get their treats when people go to the garden! I'll see them tomorrow and report back to you.
So far, no more citations nor visits from AC.

Jeremy,
The chick that hatched from your hen's egg is now broody. I'm bringing some fertile eggs over tomorrow for her to be a Mama Chicken.

Debbie,
I drove past Antioch today on our way to Brentwood to pick cherries, et. al ... thought of you and your chickens!

Hi Allison,
Your threesome have grown up! The two basque are growing nicely, and the lemon maran?/orpington? is almost the size of the 1 1/2 year old Welsummer - she is nicely feathered out. All three love watermelon rind, and do run to the coop door when I come out. Can't believe that they are only almost 4 mos. old.

How are your other chicks doing? And the Great Dane that you recently added to your family?

Sorry Kim I have been down sick & just saw this post now. Thanks alot for the offer but I am trying to be good & stick to my breeds & NO PROJECTS.....LOL. I hatched out som Salmon Faverolles & BCMs this week & a Light Sussex I threw in there. Still have been unable to get B/O or English Ors. but I will continue to try.

Karen, you may have to trim some of the fluff around your English Orps vents. I had to this year and it helped increase fertility a lot.

Jeremy,
The chick that hatched from your hen's egg is now broody. I'm bringing some fertile eggs over tomorrow for her to be a Mama Chicken.

Very cool Daphne! This year has been the year of the broody for me so far... I'm fighting with 3 right now who are defending the nesting boxes as if their lives depended on it. LOL.

Jeremy,
I've got FOUR broodies right now! The two huge English Orps. that are from Cheryl and my two cochins. All are setting on fertile eggs.
Lorie put 13 eggs under "Sister Chicken" in Berkeley yesterday.

Our friend who has chickens on his family acreage was getting like 80 eggs/day and is now down to 40 eggs/day b/c of his broodies. What he says he does is he puts the broodies in a "jail," a separate enclosure with only food and water, no nesting boxes, until he starts finding eggs, then he puts them back in with the rest of the flock. How he tells the difference of whose eggs is from which hen, and where the eggs are laid, I don't know.

Best,
D.

Back
Top Bottom