Bay Area BYCers!

Hi Walt,
I understand the part about Marek's and vaccinating/not vaccinating.
What do you routinely do for cocci, even though it is common in chickens. Was talking/chatting with Dr. Groverman, who once upon a time had 8000 chickens, and he said to just routinely medicate the entire flock. Any particular brand of medication you would recommend? He just told me to go to Western Farm. Thanks
D.gif

Last edited:
hey BYCers of BA!

Anyone inters ted in a red silkie rooster? he was off ebay ( silkie and showgirl) eggs a friend of mind got and ended up with too many chicks so I grabbed a couple. Think hes about 4 mths old and just started to make the rusty noise.

I'll have DH post the pics we took last night, they are on his phone. or PM me and I can send them to you. he is med and fluffy with the cutest tail. Fairly friendly, will eat out of your hand and has lap chicken potential if spoiled.

Hi Walt,
I understand the part about Marek's and vaccinating/not vaccinating.
What do you routinely do for cocci, even though it is common in chickens. Was talking/chatting with Dr. Groverman, who once upon a time had 8000 chickens, and he said to just routinely medicate the entire flock. Any particular brand of medication you would recommend? He just told me to go to Western Farm. Thanks
D.gif

The only thing I do for cocci is to be sure I give my chicks medicated chick starter that contains a coccidiostat. After they are started, I use my regular natural (unmedicated) feed. If they are brooded and raised by a hen I don't do anything.

Western Farm is a good place and Dr. Groverman is the best.

Walt

Western Farm is a good place and Dr. Groverman is the best.

Walt
Thanks for the cocci info, Walt ... yes, Dr. Groverman, and his entire family, too, are wonderful people! We always buy our lambs (for food) from him. We met his daughter Judy years ago at Peter Rabbit's Chocolates. Western Farm is going strong, following Larry's footsteps, chatted w/ his brother Bob on Friday

Thanks for the cocci info, Walt ... yes, Dr. Groverman, and his entire family, too, are wonderful people! We always buy our lambs (for food) from him. We met his daughter Judy years ago at Peter Rabbit's Chocolates. Western Farm is going strong, following Larry's footsteps, chatted w/ his brother Bob on Friday

I have known the Groverman's since the early 70's....sure miss Peter Rabbits too.

Walt

hey BYCers of BA!

Anyone inters ted in a red silkie rooster? he was off ebay ( silkie and showgirl) eggs a friend of mind got and ended up with too many chicks so I grabbed a couple. Think hes about 4 mths old and just started to make the rusty noise.

I'll have DH post the pics we took last night, they are on his phone. or PM me and I can send them to you. he is med and fluffy with the cutest tail. Fairly friendly, will eat out of your hand and has lap chicken potential if spoiled.

Anyone interested in a almost 4mos old silkie cockerel. His color is Coloumbian. I also have what was suppose to be a Black Orpington which she is not. I think she's a mix of something as she has a pea comb. She is 10 weeks old now. The silkie I am asking $20 for and the other $15. Here are some pics. I am in the Morgan Hill/Gilroy area. Must be able to pick up or if you are not to far from me I can meet you somewhere to pick up. You can take one or both. PM me if you are interested in either bird.

I am selling the silkie because he's the wrong color for my breeding program. He's a nice bird but would say he is show quality. He has great foot feathering but his comb is more on the red/pink side rather than the desired mulberry color. Thus I am selling as a pet quality bird.

Do you guys all know we are having a Chickenstock Party at The Omelet Ranch in Clayton CA (SF east bay) next Sunday July 15th?

You all are invited. Just PM me your email address so we can get you details.

Hello fellow Bay Area chicken people! I'm hoping to be a urban chicken farmer here in Richmond/El Sobrante.
I'm in the process of building my very first chicken coop in hopes of having my very first chicken flock. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? I'm converting a 6x6x4ft high chain link dog kennel into a chicken coop.

Anyone near me have some young pullet hens for sale? I'm looking for moderate to high egg production (medium eggs OK, larger preferred).

I was suggested Rhode Island reds by my grandfather but I'm open to suggestions. Ideally i would like to have 6-7 consistent, young egg layers, no roosters (cannot have them, not do i want one)
Egg color is irrelevant to me.

Also, i have an American bulldog, 3 yr/old who has never seen a chicken in his life. Should i be worried about introductions? Anyone have experience with leptosporosis issues between chickens and dogs?

All help is welcome!
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom