Baytril and Egg Consumption

If it's truly illegal, (Baytril) I'm somewhat horrified that my vet did not apprise me of that before prescribing it.
somad.gif

I think it's only illegal if it's for a chicken for which you intend to sell the eggs or meat. If it's a 'pet' then I think legally, it's ok.

We have no intention to sell the eggs but we DO eat them. And I am still not definitively sure about the threat. The article that clayvalleyfarmer so kindly posted says

"Baytril, when given to chickens, kills some of the bacteria, but those that survive become resistant to antibiotics such as Cipro, the standard treatment for campylobacter. These drug-resistant strains can pass into people who eat undercooked chicken."

But it doesn't say anything about the eggs...
idunno.gif

We just started injecting some of our birds with Baytril, as prescribed by a vet, for respiratory infection. The vet said to not eat eggs or meat of these chickens for 60 days. Another site I found said 28 days for eggs, 8 days for meat.

Regarding the campylobacter issue, the articles I found about it online all seemed pretty biased for or against the use of Baytril in poultry. I was hoping to find something objective that described how much dosing poses a significant risk. For example, is the light therapeutic dosing for 2 weeks of my birds enough to pose risk? Or does it take repeated prophylactic exposure like the commercial houses provided prior to 2005?

Here's one thing I found:
"It is prohibited to use eggs or meat from the flock until all residual traces of the drug have passed from the animal's system. The United States Department of Agriculture has tables to determine the proper waiting periods based on dosage and the size of the animals. A course of probiotics is suggested after the completion of the Baytril treatment to restore beneficial bacteria in the digestive track of the animals."

http://www.ehow.com/way_5579146_liquid-baytril-flock-treatment.html

I looked on the usda website and couldn't find the withdrawl table.
sad.png

Sorry for dredging up such an old thread, but the title seemed the most appropriate to post the question in when i searched the topic. i took an eggbound and also prolapsed (with her first egg) marans hen to an emergecy vet (late sunday night a few weeks ago) and the vet perscribed baytril 2xday for 1 week , along with metacam 2xday for 3 days. she said the recommended withdrawl according to her refrences was 5 days, although she advised at least 2 weeks if not a whole month to be safe. i was wondering if after the 2 weeks period the eggs for the next 2 weeks could be scrambled until well cooked and safely fed to my dogs? the hen has been given a poultry probiotic/vitamin/electrolyte supplement twice, some raw cider vinegar, and some kombucha since ending the antibiotics to help rebuild her microflora(all diluted with large amounts of filtered water, and alternated daily wish plain fresh water in between days). i hate wasting food and it pains me to toss all the eggs my only colored egg layer ever laid/lays for an entire month. at the same time i most certainly dont want my dogs to become ill from trying not to waste food.

does anyone have any educated thoughts or opinions on this?

Last edited:
There is some confusion about drug withdrawal periods, and approved and unapproved drug use in different species. Small animal veterinarians may not be up to date on food animal drug requirements, which do change as time goes by and new information comes up. FARAD is an excellent source for this information. Baytril is prohibited for use in poultry, for all the above reasons. It's been used, but shouldn't be used any more. There is no approved withdrawal time for drugs that are prohibited. Mary

There is some confusion about drug withdrawal periods, and approved and unapproved drug use in different species.  Small animal veterinarians may not be up to date on food animal drug requirements, which do change as time goes by and new information comes up.  FARAD is an excellent source for this information.  Baytril is prohibited for use in poultry, for all the above reasons.  It's been used, but shouldn't be used any more.  There is no approved withdrawal time for drugs that are prohibited.  Mary

I will take a look at the FARAD refrence you provided. i feel very conflicted about it having been perscribed. it was an emergency vet surgeon that only treated pet birds (not chickens) who persribed it at like 12a.m. sunday night/monday morning. she said she didnt have anything else medication-wise on hand that she felt would be effective considering the tearing in her vent and the need for stiches.

i had called every weekend/emergency vet (including the local agricultural extention, they only do larger livestock) within 3 hours (and i had to drive 2 1/2 hours to this place) of where i am and this place was the only place that would even see birds and they wouldnt see 'farm animals' but i managed to convince them that she is my pet and that she posed no risk to any other animals there because she was not sick, she was injured. i didnt know if she would be ok until the next day because the egg was all the way out of her bound up in her vent lining, i assumed there was a large chance of a nasty and fatal infection so i took her where i could a soon as i could. the vet admittedly had very little experience with chickens (she couldnt have been older than 30), but on the other hand, my bird is most likely still alive and successfully laying eggs today because of her.

sssooo im not sure if i should fault the vet or thank her. i've had a handful of small and large bird over the years, from canaries to macaws (my mother owned a pet store for some years), but this chicken thing has been quite the learning experience and seems to come with a heck of a learning curve no matter how much reading i do.

Last edited:
It is hard to find veterinarians who treat pet birds, and harder to find someone who treats poultry. Emergency DVM's do great work, and she saved your hen's life. The changing story about approved and unapproved drug use isn't something that LA and poultry veterinarians should keep current, but that's not the same as pet medicine. Mary

Sorry for dredging up such an old thread, but the title seemed the most appropriate to post the question in when i searched the topic. i took an eggbound and also prolapsed (with her first egg) marans hen to an emergecy vet (late sunday night a few weeks ago) and the vet perscribed baytril 2xday for 1 week , along with metacam 2xday for 3 days. she said the recommended withdrawl according to her refrences was 5 days, although she advised at least 2 weeks if not a whole month to be safe. i was wondering if after the 2 weeks period the eggs for the next 2 weeks could be scrambled until well cooked and safely fed to my dogs? the hen has been given a poultry probiotic/vitamin/electrolyte supplement twice, some raw cider vinegar, and some kombucha since ending the antibiotics to help rebuild her microflora(all diluted with large amounts of filtered water, and alternated daily wish plain fresh water in between days). i hate wasting food and it pains me to toss all the eggs my only colored egg layer ever laid/lays for an entire month. at the same time i most certainly dont want my dogs to become ill from trying not to waste food.

After 2 weeks of discarding eggs, it should be safe to feed you or the dogs the eggs, being that they are in good health and not fighting an infection of their own. Dogs are regularly treated with Baytril for infections. It a popular but expensive antibiotic used commonly in veterinary medicine.

After 2 weeks of discarding eggs, it should be safe to feed you or the dogs the eggs, being that they are in good health and not fighting an infection of their own. Dogs are regularly treated with Baytril for infections. It a popular but expensive antibiotic used commonly in veterinary medicine.

Generic Baytril (enrofloxacin) is very affordable. One can get 100 ml bottles for less than $40.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom