Baytril or Cipro?

I reread your post about ecoli. She may have scratched her eye and got an infection.

You can overdo it with probiotics. Is she eating now, she should be eating her regular food. Let more experts chime in on the diet. I dont remember if you said if she is eating normally or not. I know after i do my sulfa treatments my chickens usually eat normally until their crop is full.

I hope she pulls through for you. I dont see any reason you feel she is going to die?
She's not eating or drinking at all (I have to tube all her food), she breathes with her mouth open when sleeping, and just seems weak. I'm hoping that if I can keep her alive/get her more nutrients on the Kaytee she'll get more vigorous and be able to fight off the infection with the help of the antibiotics.

She's not eating or drinking at all (I have to tube all her food), she breathes with her mouth open when sleeping, and just seems weak. I'm hoping that if I can keep her alive/get her more nutrients on the Kaytee she'll get more vigorous and be able to fight off the infection with the help of the antibiotics.
How long ago was the sulfa ended? Sorry if you said that, i didnt catch it. A 10 day sulfa course is a bit much, she is probably super weak from anemia. I treat with pieces of liver mashed with food. Red meat, chicken, fish are other options maybe that have the iron and vitamins.

There are other treatments too, but its from lack of thiamine over a long time.

How long ago was the sulfa ended? Sorry if you said that, i didnt catch it. A 10 day sulfa course is a bit much, she is probably super weak from anemia. I treat with pieces of liver mashed with food.

There are other treatments too, but its from lack of thiamine over a long time.
No worries. I think the sulfa ended on the 13th. Vet wasn't open until the 18th though, so she definitely didn't get proper nutrition in that time. And to top it off she had a blood feather break on the 14th and blead maybe 20 drops of blood? Doesn't seem like much, but for a chicken that weighs 2.3 lbs and just got done with 10 days of sulfa it certainly didn't help.

I'll feed the dog/cat food in addition to the Kaytee. It has liver in it.

Sulfa cuts off the thiamine to the cocci but also causes thiamine deficiency in the chicken being treated. I do 3 day treatments.
You're thinking of amprolium.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/amprolium
Thiamine Analogues
Amprolium (Amprol®, Amprolium®, Ampromed®, Amprosid®, Amprosol®, Amprovine®) is a quaternized derivative of pyrimidine that interferes with thiamine metabolism. It is a thiamine antagonist, blocking the thiamine receptors, thus preventing carbohydrate synthesis.

You're thinking of amprolium I think.
Sulfa does the same, not exactly but it causes depletion of nutrients required by cocci by killing the bacteria that are in the gut providing them. If i remember right it still causes thiamine deficiency and other nutrient deficiency. The vet was aware and prescrived the probiotics afterward and nutrient supplements. I think 10 days left her chicken way too depleted.

Sulfa does the same, not exactly but it causes depletion of nutrients required by cocci. If i remember right it still causes thiamine deficiency and other nutrient deficiency. The vet was aware and prescrived the probiotics afterward and nutrient supplements. I think 10 days left her chicken way too depleted.
I looked and cannot find anything that mentions thiamine & sulfa.

@casportpony

Since I have you here, could you answer me something?

I'm mixing up the kaytee food as thick as I can (like 1 1/3 scoops) to 1/3 cup of water, and I get 55 -60 mL out of that, and she gets that twice a day now, but I feel like I've read that an adult chicken is supposed to get like 1 pint of water a day. Is this really enough food and water for her? Or should I be giving more?

Back
Top Bottom