BB White turkey -- Its A Boy!

Quote:
One of the hens we just butchered had a beard. Not quite as large as the one the tom had but it was definately there. My husband thought it was a confused tom but I showed him it was a hen when I pulled out developing eggs while cleaning her.

Last edited:
I've have learned a lot about turkeys since having this one. They can be such sweet birds...and smart, too!
When a noise startles mine or my boyfriend wears his hood up on his coat, he makes an odd sound. Either it is a terrible practice gobble or something else!
The snood hangs beyond half the beak...do hens look this way sometimes, too? I promise to get an up to date photo on here soon, sorry guys!
smile.png

Last edited:
I know what you mean about turkeys being sweet and smart... Although about some things not so smart: my Rhonda got exited about dinner time when I walked through the gate last week, and so instead of walking around the pond she decided to fly over it. I guess no-one old her that turkeys can't really fly. And they can't swim, either, so I had to fish a very wet very flustered turkey out of the pond. (Needless to say, the adventure did nothing to dampen her appetite!)

I've heard her make a lot of very odd sounds -- quite a few of which sound like she's swallowed an old rotary dial phone -- but her threat/warning noise I can't describe. Definitely odd.

LOL -- that must have been something...
lol.png

Well, they are smart in ways and not so smart in others...
tongue.png

But that's funny anyhow -- goofy thing.

I know when I was very very young a wild tom turkey decided to live on our farm. He lived with the chickens in the barn and roamed the yard. My brother got a new set of tools with sockets. He left them outside by mistake....the sockets disappeared. Our friendly wild tom, Turkles, passed away shortly after...with suspicious feeling bulges in his gizzard.
sad.png
That was a sad story, I know, but something to share. Very strange what they can eat sometimes. I always remember that so I can keep my yard clear of small shiny dangers.

I still have to get that updated picture!

Last edited:
Well, battery died on my camera this evening, but I plan to get an updated shot. I'd say I have a male for certain -- I caught sight of some blue in the face and the snood has been coming down a bit more. There haven't been any eggs yet. But barely any strutting and no gobbles! The others from the batch at a friend's are gobbling like nuts and strutting all over....but there are ladies present. Still I'd expect a couple gobbles from mine.
hmm.png

Hens don't get blue in the face at all do they??

Last edited:
My hens do NOT get blue in the face. Out of the turkeys that I had this year, I had 1 male and it seemed that once he started turning blue, he was ALWAYS blue somewhere in his face. Of course, I had females running around constantly provoking him as well. He didn't start gobbling until about 22 weeks of age. I can't remember how old yours is...but he may start gobbling soon. It's the neatest sound
smile.png

But I'm still sticking to my opinion even more, that if he's displaying blue in his face and his snood -well you know what they do
wink.png
- TOM for sure!!

Why do they turn blue in the face and what causes it besides the ladies? I think it is very pretty and when all fluffed up.

Blue is normal color most turkeys when they are relaxed and content, there may be some or a lot of red but it varies from turkey to turkey. When they get excited, mad, upset blood flows to the face.

He saw a box of cheez-its this evening and you should have seen him! He fluffed up with the blue face and snood dangling. Then he started trying to jump up for them. I guess he figured he would impress or scare someone into letting him have them, lol! I don't want him jumping too much, but at least he is still mobile enough to run and jump yet. He loves pumpkins --and he tore one to pieces today! A dust bath with the chickens also. The weather is getting colder, so he better do some more dusting before snow sets in.
smile.png

I am gonna pick up some batteries for the cam tonight...been owing a photo to this thread for weeks!

Thanks guys
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom