BBS silkies

Fluffy feet silkies

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2023
HI, i was wondering about identifying splash and blue silkie chicks when they are only a couple of days old. Because the blue ones vary in shade, and the splash ones look gray? I really want to know an easy way of identifying while they are really young.

---Thanks

Splash is more of a yellowish to grayish-white color in chick down, more easily mistaken for White than for Blue in my experience. Blue can be pretty light gray, but generally not as light as Splash. Here are some Splash Cochins as an example:

splash squad.jpg
Splash baby.jpg

Splash next to a lighter Blue (plus another darker Blue on the right) :

Splash with lighter Blue babies.jpg

These are some of the lighter Blues I've hatched, but they're still definitely grayish rather than whitish or yellowish like the Splashes:

light blues.jpg

If you still aren't sure by down color, then you can always wait a bit for some feathers to come in and give you your answer. Mostly white feathers means Splash, blue-gray is Blue, of course. 🙂

tha
Splash is more of a yellowish to grayish-white color in chick down, more easily mistaken for White than for Blue in my experience. Blue can be pretty light gray, but generally not as light as Splash. Here are some Splash Cochins as an example:

View attachment 3662196View attachment 3662198

Splash next to a lighter Blue (plus another darker Blue on the right) :

View attachment 3662199

These are some of the lighter Blues I've hatched, but they're still definitely grayish rather than whitish or yellowish like the Splashes:

View attachment 3662197

If you still aren't sure by down color, then you can always wait a bit for some feathers to come in and give you your answer. Mostly white feathers means Splash, blue-gray is Blue, of course. 🙂
thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom