Be honest, what would YOU do? Vote.

Be honest, what would YOU do in this situation?

• Keep 10 chickens. Coop (3.00sqft) Run (7.20sqft) each

• Keep 9 chickens. Coop (3.33sqft) Run (8.00sqft) each

• Keep 8 chickens. Coop (3.75sqft) Run (9.00sqft) each

• Keep 7 chickens. Coop (4.20sqft) Run (10.28sqft) each

• Keep 6 chickens. Coop (5.00sqft) Run (14.20sqft) each

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pics

Living_Legend

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Freeland, MD
My Coop
My Coop
Be honest, what would YOU PERSONALLY do with 10 Chickens?..........in a 6x5 coop (not counting nesting boxes) and a 6x12 run?

I ordered 9 chicks, My guess is that they will send me 1 extra one. If all 10 survive what would you do in this situation? Keep all 10, give a few away, what? I will also be allowing them to controlled free range 4 days a week in a 36ftx16ft area while I am around. I work from home two days a week plus the weekend.

I know the what the chicken math says but what would you actually do?
20180319_152929.jpg 20180319_092104.jpg 20180319_124001.jpg 20180316_112957.jpg 20180315_170807.jpg 20180319_155756.png

Last edited:
I'd keep 6--7. You are in a warm climate, though, so keeping more might work. The standard 4/10 advice 'works' but they are so much happier and healthier when allowed to move... I have firsthand experience with that. Letting them have that larger run for a few days a week will help.

Also depends on the breeds of chickens.
Leghorns and skinny like chickens are ~3 sqft in coop and 7-8ish sqft in run.
Medium-Large (RIR, BR, etc) are ~4 sqft in coop and 10ish sqft. in run.
XL (Brahmas) I would side with ~5 sqft in coop of 12ish sqft. in run.

Also depends on how often you will let them free range.

I disagree on Leghorns needing less space than Brahmas.

Yes... Leghorns are smaller... but some breeds are much calmer and do not get antsy when confined to a small space. Other breeds when kept in a small space will start feather picking, egg eating, and cannibalistic behaviors.

Size does matter, yes, but I think personality matters MUCH more.

One side sees them as pets that each have a different and unique personality that should be cherished and preserved. The other sees them as livestock that have a purpose and can tolerate. I'm in the middle. I have never seen feather picking or any stress-associated behavior in my flock. Maybe a pecked comb here and there but I wouldn't call that unusual since my dominant hen can be a real B with the bit of RIR in her.
maybe...but....

I see my chickens as livestock, not pets. I butcher them myself, eat tgem, rah, rah. BUT, I greatly prefer large square feet per bird because then it is SO MUCH LESS WORK!!!

If the birds are crowded and a nasty behavior starts it is VERY difficult to get the bad behavior to stop. Nightmare. :sick I want less work and productive chickens and that is why I am such an advocate of more space. You can also go WAY longer between coop cleanings.

I have good ventilation I also have power to the coop if I needed to add some radiant heat and I also purchased cold weather Hardy Birds. But you're right we do have winter in Maryland.... We don't have snow on the ground too much it happens but it goes away pretty quick

I would search this before next winter comes but since we're already talkin At what point do you cut access off to the Run for the chickens? A certain temperature?
Rarely to never. They get to go outside whenever they want to. And they don't need heat. When allowed to acclimate naturally, they grow down under their feathers and POOF! They have a nice down coat to wear all winter long, inside and outside. I will close the pop door when it's double digits below zero (Like -15 or colder).

Back
Top Bottom