Beach Sand in the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dukeofhawg, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I live right by the beach. Can I use the endless free supply given to use by God for the bottom of he coop or do I need to use some special sand? Thanks for the help!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont see any reason why you cant, just make sure there arnt any sand fleas in it.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's fine to use, since sand is sand, but in most places it's illegal to remove sand from a beach unless you own it

4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I use beach sand in my coops and the runs... works beautifully.... The girls love discovering the shells... buy mine by the dump truck load....as it is illegal to just take it off the beach here in NJ

R.J. likes this.
  5. We live on a 50 miles stretch of sand dunes. I'm fairly certain no one will mind :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aiwenn likes this.
  6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    So long as you own those dunes, no one will mind.

7. LOL Good point Galanie, but when you live near dunes, sand blows in from everywhere. Our local market is built on a sand dune... the sand blows into piles in the parking lot. They are more than happy to have residents drive up and take it away. If you have ever lived near or been to sand dunes, people would laugh and mock me if I paid for sand. It truly is everywhere. I'm glad I can use it in the coop, that will really help.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Well, I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast if that counts, close to Padre Island National Seashore. Only when I was little it wasn't a National Seashore. People used to graze cows on that beach at night and we were free to take all the sand we wanted but then no one back then would have dreamed of abusing it like they would now. I know what you're saying, absolutely. Just wanted to reiterate the warning to be careful, and it sounds like you are going to get it from a great spot.

PS - buying sand grates on my nerves more now even than buying water in little tiny bottles.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: There's a world of difference in getting it from a beach, which is what was implied in the OP, and cleaning up a parking lot.

10. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Only thing is make sure they have a great supply of water because if it's beach sand then it might be really salty! Wouldn't it?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by