Beach vacation hatch..now up to 11 lavender silkie chicks!!

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
When I purchased some highly coveted eggs a little over 2 weeks ago, I had completely forgotten that we would be on a week's beach vacation during the hatching time. However, not to be denied either the eggs or the vacation, we loaded up our wonderful Rcom Suro King incubator this morning at 4:30 am and headed out on our 4 hours drive to Cape San Blas, Fl.

Also loaded is a plastic rubbermaid tub to act as a brooder, a clamp on light with a 75 watt bulb for heat, a small baggie of chick starter and a roll of paper towels.

I thought about asking the dog sitter to tend the hatch for me, BUT....these are lavender silkies eggs from Shagbarksilkies and lav/porcelain eggs from April - Broody's Bordello. So you can imagine that I wasn't willing to risk a novice tending to my hatch.

But we must digress to yesterday evening when a tornado came thundering through our county with high winds, hail and torrential rains. There were some flickers of the power, but by the time I hit the sack at 11:00 pm, the worst was over and all was well. My DD decided to come spend the night at our house so she would be there when we left very early in the morning. At midnight, she gently woke me with , "MOM....THE INCUBATOR IS MAKING A NOISE!!!!" I flew out of the bed to find it at normal temp and humidity but beeping...indicating that the power had been interrupted at some point after I went to sleep. So again...all is well.

At 4:00 am the alarm jangled me to my feet and I put on the coffee and began packing the car as DH and DD took a leisurely shower and got all ready for the trip. Really?? How about a little help guys...

At 4:30 everything was packed except the incubator. I had purchased a converter that plugs into my cigarette lighter (do they still call them that??) There was a special flat place on a folded down back seat for it. My DD and I went in to pick it up together because it has the attached humidity pump plus turning cradle and it takes 2 people to pick all of that up.

To my horror, the incubator was off and the temp was at 78 degrees. OMG!! It must have gone off sometimes at 12:30 am and 4:00 am. I so hoping it was only for an hour or so...but time will tell I guess.

With not much hope for them, we went ahead and loaded them up, plugged them in and took off. They were back up to temp within 4 minutes and at this moment are safely turning in their cradle in our lovely vacation home paradise. The trip took about 4 1/2 hours and the bator stayed absolutely rock steady with temp and humidity the entire trip.

This is day 16 for these eggs, and we are here for an entire week, so we hope to have a successful hatch by the time we leave next Saturday. I'll continue to post updates and pics as we go along. Below is a pic of the bator in the backseat.

9079_photo_47.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing you a wonderful hatch! Lucky chicks going on vacation before they're even hatched lol!
I'll be watching out for pics as well.
fl.gif

Today is day 18 for the eggs and lockdown began this morning. Incubator has been functioning flawlessly...just couldn't be happier with this Rcom Suro King.

Below are pics of the incubator in the beach cottage and a couple of our family...
smile.png
Cape San Blas, Florida is just the most gorgeous place...so quiet...just the beach, books, fishing...sun and surf!! We crabbed and caught a few fish yesterday for dinner last night.

9079_photo_52.jpg

9079_photo_49.jpg

9079_photo_48.jpg

9079_photo_53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your eggies will be fine! Last winter (when I was still in G-ville) the power went out one night when it was freezing (literally) outside. The house and bator got down to 65 degrees for about 6 hours and I still had a good hatch out of it. I had to start a fire for the quail chicks though and put them under some Hot Hands while waiting for the power to come back on...almost lost them all.
roll.png

Thanks for those encouraging words, Kellie. I figured it takes an hour or more for the temp to fall to 78 and it was only about 4 hours that the power was off. So I'm hoping for a great hatch. I have run the temp at a little over 100 as I just seem to have better hatches at a slightly higher temps so I'm hoping they will hatch right on time. The worst thing would be for them to be late and be hatching in the car on the way home!!
big_smile.png

ep.gif
only a total chicken addict would carry their bator on vacation
lau.gif

I thought I was an addict--but you've got me beat by a mile!!!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
best of luck with the hatch
jumpy.gif
:jumpy:jumpy

and thanks for sharing the adventure

Quote:
Only a chicken addict would forget a planned vacation because there are eggs for sale. I hope you have a great vacation and a great hatch!

Cooooooool! I have to go out of town the last 3 days of my hatch and wish I could take them along (no power while camping) so mine are just going to have to go solo.
It makes it a little easier on me no sitting there staring at the incubator all day and night though
lol.png

Good Luck!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom