Beak clipping

Hull18

Chirping
Mar 17, 2018
I have an Americana and it's beak looks funky. And my grandmother mention beak clipping. How do I do this? Her bottom beak is juting out to the side.
JPEG_20180330_211104_1520942279.jpg

Clipping that poor chick's beak will not solve its problem. In fact, it will do significant harm to the chick if you try to trim it. It will bleed and you will have a very hard time stopping it, and the stress and pain could kill the chick.

So, I hope we're clear on that.

The condition is called "scissor beak". It's a genetic defect, and it will not get better. The chick will have a very difficult time eating dry crumbles, and it may not get enough to prevent starvation. This will likely carry into its adulthood.

You have a decision to make - whether to euthanize this chick and save it the hassle of struggling to eat for the rest of its life or allowing it to live and providing it with special care so it will be assured of proper nutrition.

If you choose to let it live, you will need to make sure it's getting enough to eat and is able to drink well enough to stay properly hydrated. Moistening the food will help it to eat and providing a dish of water can help it drink better. Nipple waterers may not work for it.

The chick will need careful watching to make sure it doesn't starve.

Clipping that poor chick's beak will not solve its problem. In fact, it will do significant harm to the chick if you try to trim it. It will bleed and you will have a very hard time stopping it, and the stress and pain could kill the chick.

So, I hope we're clear on that.

The condition is called "scissor beak". It's a genetic defect, and it will not get better. The chick will have a very difficult time eating dry crumbles, and it may not get enough to prevent starvation. This will likely carry into its adulthood.

You have a decision to make - whether to euthanize this chick and save it the hassle of struggling to eat for the rest of its life or allowing it to live and providing it with special care so it will be assured of proper nutrition.

If you choose to let it live, you will need to make sure it's getting enough to eat and is able to drink well enough to stay properly hydrated. Moistening the food will help it to eat and providing a dish of water can help it drink better. Nipple waterers may not work for it.

The chick will need careful watching to make sure it doesn't starve.
Thank you soon much

Back
Top Bottom