Beak deformities

Niki0710

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Michigan
I have a baby chick born with a beak deformity. Everything I've read says scissor beak? But his right eye hasn't developed. What can I do to save him? And what have I done wrong? I want to prevent this from happening again.
20180223_095513.jpg
I'm new to raising/incubating chicks. Please help

Wow that's really bad. Sometimes they can still eat but I dont have high hopes for this one. I think the most humane thing for this little guy is to put him down. You didn't do anything wrong. It happens even with the most professional hatchers. It's more of a genetic issue.

Yeah, I believe that's scissor beak(I've also heard in called cross beak). It looks pretty bad, can he eat or drink on his own, I'm figuring no but I'm hopeful. And could you get pics of his eye please, I'm just morbidly curious really

Sometimes the humidity level can fall during the latter part of incubation and interfere with development, and the same can happen as a chick hatched by a broody pips and is very slow out of the egg.

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do to make these deformities go right.

The best you can hope for is that the chick has the spunk to learn to eat with a scissor beak and to compete with the other chickens with only one good eye. Wetting the feed will be the only way to give it a chance at being able to eat.

I would recommend you gather the courage to euthanize this little one to save it a lot of struggle that has more chance of failing than succeeding.

Wow that's really bad. Sometimes they can still eat but I dont have high hopes for this one. I think the most humane thing for this little guy is to put him down. You didn't do anything wrong. It happens even with the most professional hatchers. It's more of a genetic issue.
Thank you! It's only a day old. I'm trying to get it to eat. I don't him starving to death tho. I was hoping there was a cure.
Thank you. It's only a day old. I'm trying to get it to eat. But I don't think he can open his mouth enough. Your right, if theirs no cure I'd rather put it down then let him starve to death

Yeah unfortunately with it that bad, there is no fixing or making the beak line up. They don't even meet together at all so his mouth is gonna dry out and have all sorts of problems. Wish I had a better answer for you but this ones just too far off.

Sometimes the humidity level can fall during the latter part of incubation and interfere with development, and the same can happen as a chick hatched by a broody pips and is very slow out of the egg.

The best you can hope for is that the chick has the spunk to learn to eat with a scissor beak and to compete with the other chickens with only one good eye. Wetting the feed will be the only way to give it a chance at being able to eat.

I would recommend you gather the courage to euthanize this little one to save it a lot of struggle that has more chance of failing than succeeding.
Yeah, I believe that's scissor beak(I've also heard in called cross beak). It looks pretty bad, can he eat or drink on his own, I'm figuring no but I'm hopeful. And could you get pics of his eye please, I'm just morbidly curious really
I hope you can tell with these. Their seems to have been no eye development

Attachments

• 20180223_095526.jpg
    20180223_095526.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180223_103026.jpg
    20180223_103026.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180223_103003.jpg
    20180223_103003.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 11

I have wet the food down and separated him from the other chicks while feeding. The humidity: is supposed to be about 50-55 and raised to 65 the last few days is that accurate? I keep a damp cloth In the incubator and keep an eye on it. That seems to keep it level

The technicals can all be right and the DNA can go wrong. You will be the one to decide this chick's fate - to face a struggle that other chicks don't face, knowing it may not be able to keep up or even get enough to eat for its survival. It's your call, but most of us here would urge a compassionate end.

Back
Top Bottom