Beak growth after injury

pointsalamander

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2016
So Jazz here is a found chicken. No idea on age or breed just that she's been here 3 to 4 months now.
When I found her her to beak was clearly clipped very short.

It has grown some but not a ton. She's eating well and all that but still has moments of frustration with the lack of it.

Any supplements I can give her to help it come back faster? Or idea of a time line for it?
PXL_20240204_190316315.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240115_172440826.jpg

as far as beaks go, I would say as long as she can eat she is fine, but I don't have a timeframe of when, or if, it will grow back, being new to farming myself. what I can say, however, is that this bird is likely over a year old, and she looks like an australorp or a link.

Do you think it was broken off or that her beak was trimmed by the previous owner? That is sometimes done to prevent feather picking and cannibalism, but that is pretty short. I don’t think it will grow back. There have been some chickens missing the whole beak who have managed to survive. I would try feeding moistened chicken feed out of a taller bowl, and using dry chicken crumbles in another. Others may chime in with advice. She looks like she may be a black copper Marans with her feathered feet. Does she lay dark brown eggs?

Do you think it was broken off or that her beak was trimmed by the previous owner? That is sometimes done to prevent feather picking and cannibalism, but that is pretty short. I don’t think it will grow back. There have been some chickens missing the whole beak who have managed to survive. I would try feeding moistened chicken feed out of a taller bowl, and using dry chicken crumbles in another. Others may chime in with advice. She looks like she may be a black copper Marans with her feathered feet. Does she lay dark brown eggs?
I think given how straight it was that someone cut it.

She was starving to death (only weighed 2lbs it so) when I found her next to the dance studio I teach at.

We gave her mash for 2 months. Now she can eat with the rest of my flock but has trouble with treats like meal worms and such. She's definitely not starving now she's up to 4lbs or so. But I'd like to be able to properly spoil her.

We think she's a pretty old lady never laid an egg here some white feathers coming in and such. She's loved no matter what and this will be her home till time takes her.

It sounds like you have been very good to her. There is an old thread here about a hen who beak was lost to a dog. The teen owner kept her alive for month while she and her parents all tube fed her several times a day. Eventually, she learned to eat large pieces of scrambled egg that owners made for her. After a long time, she was able to eat her chicken feed. Here is that thread and warning, the pictures are graphic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/

Back
Top Bottom