Beak injury on hen

ksguy

Songster
Jun 9, 2015
Kansas
Hi. One of my 10 month old hens has a beak injury. The top surface is flaky and scabby looking, and she has a bit of an under bite where she had never had one before. It almost looks like the tip and surface of the front of her beak completely broke off. As for causes, the other day I put some yogurt on a concrete post base in their run, and I'm wondering if she may have chipped it off pecking at the yogurt - but I watched them all polish it off and didn't notice anybody get hurt, and none of the other hens in our flock has any beak issues. She does seem to be in pain as she was allowing me to pick her up without squatting for me - like she knew something was wrong and wanted my help. Is there anything I can do for her? I have some triple antibiotic ointment with pain reliever (Pramoxine) in it - is that worth trying or does she need a vet?

Looks like potential beak necrosis. My understanding is that feed could build up in the beak and cause rot, or an injury could cause it. Did it just appear, or do you think it could have happened over time? I'm sure a vet may have suggestions to help stop it from progressing.
Best of luck to you and her.

Last edited:
This is new within the last 48 hours. I was out in the run with them on Wednesday when they got the yogurt and everybody was fine.

That is quick, so I would not think necrosis. Maybe just bruise from eating like you suggested, or caused by an over zealous pen mate that wanted what she had.

Thanks for your opinion. I, too, thought it might be a little quick for necrosis. I'll try cleaning it off and putting a little antibiotic ointment and watching it for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom