Beak trimmed a bit too far - what do I do?

I was going to say if it is, you could try spraying a bit of this on her beak.
View attachment 2961648It helps a lot with bleeding and will prevent infection. I've used it several times now on impossible-to-bandage areas, and it is great. It will turn things silver temporarily though.
Thank you. I’ll look into it. Is it like Bluekote?

Years ago, this happened to a hen I was trying to beak trim. She made a sudden movement at the exact moment I was making the clip and profuse bleeding ensued. Lots of blood, lots of pain and shock, and some of that was even experienced by the hen.

Geesh, I felt bad.

Do treat for shock as this is probably the most painful injury a chicken can experience. The beak has more nerve endings and blood supply than anywhere else. Give her warm sugar water with electrolytes for the rest of the day.

The beak will stop bleeding in a few hours. Leave it alone. It will heal in a few days on its own. Give her soft wet food.

Wait a few days until the lower beak has healed and scabbed over and the pain has subsided before trimming the upper.
I know I'm replying to a 2 year old post but I have to thank you! I was trimming much crossbeak silkie as I normally do, and she moved at that specific moment when I clipped! I expected her beak to bleed, but holy crap! I've been searching posts to make sure I was doing the right things and came across this. You made me laugh and made me feel better. I felt so bad and felt even worse when I went to the coop to check on her and her whit feathers were red! She's been resting since I brought her inside a few hours ago and I'm going to give her electrolyte sugar water and mash before I go to bed. Thank you again! Thanks to you I may be able to sleep some tonight.
Amy

A cauterizing tool generates a high temperature spark that seals the blood vessels and prevents further bleeding. Vets and doctors use it as they perform surgery to seal off exposed blood vessels that are bleeding.
Oh, okay! Thank you.

Is Neosporin fine to put on her beak? Just want to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom