Beak trimmed a bit too far - what do I do?

JustBabyMargo

Hatch-aholic
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2021
Oregon
Hi. My crossbeak was in need of a beak trim, and we accidentally trimmed it back a bit too far. We got it to stop bleeding once, and she got it to stop bleeding a couple times after that, but now it is dripping again, and I don’t know what to do. The top beak could be trimmed a tiny bit more maybe to stop the two from constantly scraping up on each other, but other than that, I am unsure.
0B29A547-E0FC-4E86-AF8E-CD8CD7AEFC4F.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

I want more experienced chicken goers to confirm or deny this, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Flour or cornstarch. Just a dab should help it coagulate it enough to form a scab.
We’ve tried that, but her top beak keeps scraping it off. She won’t allow it to stay even if we keep her beak open.

We’ve tried that, but her top beak keeps scraping it off. She won’t allow it to stay even if we keep her beak open.
Oh wow... that is a problem. Hrrrrm...... The other option might be to use super glue/fast acting band aid liquid. It's pretty tacky, dries fast and shouldn't come off when scraped. Super glue was made for patients in the antarctic to keep wounds closed instead of stitches. (SOmething about the weather there prevents proper healing with stitches).

Good luck!

It finally stopped and is dried. Should we still try trimming the top, or would that make the bottom/more tender area exposed, and cause even more problems? I have her inside right now. Should I just feed her soft foods for today, and try to keep her inside, so she won’t scrape it on anything? Should it not be so tender tomorrow?

Years ago, this happened to a hen I was trying to beak trim. She made a sudden movement at the exact moment I was making the clip and profuse bleeding ensued. Lots of blood, lots of pain and shock, and some of that was even experienced by the hen.

Geesh, I felt bad.

Do treat for shock as this is probably the most painful injury a chicken can experience. The beak has more nerve endings and blood supply than anywhere else. Give her warm sugar water with electrolytes for the rest of the day.

The beak will stop bleeding in a few hours. Leave it alone. It will heal in a few days on its own. Give her soft wet food.

Wait a few days until the lower beak has healed and scabbed over and the pain has subsided before trimming the upper.

It finally stopped and is dried. Should we still try trimming the top, or would that make the bottom/more tender area exposed, and cause even more problems? I have her inside right now. Should I just feed her soft foods for today, and try to keep her inside, so she won’t scrape it on anything? Should it not be so tender tomorrow?
I'd carefully trim the top, but you can wait a couple days first if that feels safer. I'd do liquid only for today and possibly tomorrow. (Milk and yogurt would be good, with dusted grain inside.) That way she doesn't accidentally open it back up.

Sorry this happened. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Years ago, this happened to a hen I was trying to beak trim. She made a sudden movement at the exact moment I was making the clip and profuse bleeding ensued. Lots of blood, lots of pain and shock, and some of that was even experienced by the hen.

Geesh, I felt bad.

Do treat for shock as this is probably the most painful injury a chicken can experience. The beak has more nerve endings and blood supply than anywhere else. Give her warm sugar water with electrolytes for the rest of the day.

The beak will stop bleeding in a few hours. Leave it alone. It will heal in a few days on its own. Give her soft wet food.

Wait a few days until the lower beak has healed and scabbed over and the pain has subsided before trimming the upper.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom