Bear Flipped over coop

Pics
Bear flipped over our coop. Ate 4 but 2 managed to survive. Sadly our pullets didn't make it. Based on the the tracks I'd say 175-225 lbs bear.View attachment 2655611
I suspected you were from Colorado when I heard this, and looking at your profile confirmed it. I went there twice (luckily no bear break-ins) and we were keeping trash containers outside closed with heavy-duty locks, and making sure no food was left in the van. Unfortunately, I have no advice for keeping bears out of coops, and I’m sorry your flock was eaten (or died). 🪦🌸 🐓 😔

Bear noses are pretty picky. 🐻
Perhaps try hot pepper plants or hot pepper spray around your coop.

Shame on all you who just want to shoot and electrify bears *for being bears* It’s not their fault that people forget and forgot that they live here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feed your chooks pitted hot peppers (remove seeds) & spray your inside/outside coop area with hot pepper spray. Guarantee you no bear will mess with your coop ever again.
UNLESS, of course they like spicy chicken🍗

Shame on all you who just want to shoot and electrify bears *for being bears* It’s not their fault that people forget and forgot that they live here too.
I have to agree - he was just looking for food & those small coops are easy prey . We move into their territory and some people * feed the cute animals* so they come closer to civilization . No not saying that’s what happened , I’m not there . My family lives in Co and hikes & camps - they have special containers to keep the food in so the bear don’t smell it .
Definitely shoot it if it comes after a person , we are not *food* like our chickens are to them .

So if I understand correctly, a bear can come into your yard and you cannot defend yourself. The bear can just have you or your loved one for dinner?
Bear normally attack unless provoked. Or you have a mother protecting their young. Black bears at this time of year are looking for an easy meal. Their bodies slow down through the winter even though they don't do a full hibernation they still slow things down. Loud noises or just a human presence will normally scare them.

Bear flipped over our coop. Ate 4 but 2 managed to survive. Sadly our pullets didn't make it. Based on the the tracks I'd say 175-225 lbs bear.View attachment 2655611
Sorry to hear that. We also have to deal with bears regularly so totally understand issues that come with living in bear country.
Only thing i can say is that there is nothing that is totally bear proof. I over-built my coop just because of the bears. They have tried to get in several times but, knock on wood, no such luck. Make it as difficult as possible and it should deter most bears unless they are particularly determined.
I elevated my coop 32" off the ground to help prevent bears from getting leverage.
Good luck in the future hopefully this will be the last bear attack.

Attachments

• 20210524_080846.jpg
    20210524_080846.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom