Bear Flipped over coop

He came back. Lit him up with airsoft guns and he left. Didn't do anymore damage to the coop. Those chickens are lucky. Sprayed bleach around the sides because bears hate it. View attachment 2656539
You NEED super strong hot wires around your set up. After you wire it up with the punchiest charger you can find (and at least three jumpered ground rods sunk down 8 ft deep), drape small pieces of bacon on the wires lengthwise. The bear will get a deterrent lesson far better than getting scared off by noise.

fire off a shotgun into the sky

Never shoot a firearm into the sky.

4 Rules of Gun Safety
  • #1 Treat all guns as if they are always loaded. ...
  • #2 Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to destroy. ...
  • #3 Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot. ...
  • #4 Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.
Shooting at the sky violates rule 2 -- unless you're willing to destroy the sky

Shooting at the sky violates rule 3 -- unless you have pinned a target to the sky and are intentionally shooting that target.

Shooting at the sky violates #4 -- because you don't know what is on the other side of the sky for your bullet to hit. People have died because bullets on ballistic trajectories have traveled a mile or more and hit them.

One thing that might add some strength to it is if you dig holes near all 4 corners then put cinder blocks in the holes and take chains and chain the coop to all 4 cinder blocks then burry them, might want to make it a foot or 2 below the surface just to make sure its packed tight down there. I have seen some people do this to make sure their coop doesn't go flying away in crazy windstorms.
Had that been done, the coop would be in pieces not just flipped. Either way, lesson learned.

He came back. Lit him up with airsoft guns and he left. Didn't do anymore damage to the coop. Those chickens are lucky. Sprayed bleach around the sides because bears hate it.
IMG_20210508_063344.jpg

I am glad you are letting the game warden know.

In your area you have coyotes, mountain lions and bob cats too.

I agree on needing a very hot wire. Have you been to the Colorado thread? A couple folks on there have posted that they have bears too. Might be worth asking how they predator proof things.

In the mean time since that coop is small and light maybe it can go in the garage?

The goal is to NOT have to shoot one! Unless it drops dead immediately, having an angry and injured bear coming at you ain't better! And actually having a clear background? Neighbors? Having a safe shot is difficult many places.
Best to scare them off, and that's what the electric fencing is meant to do.
A couple of years ago, we visited a home in NW Wisconsin, in the woods, where I grew up. The owners had two BBQ grills right next to their kitchen door and windows. I could smell them at fifteen paces! They thought it was cute that black bears visited down the path, during the day! A child could have busted through their screen door, never mind the window. CRAZY!
When we were there, nothing remotely like food was outside! Now they also have wolves, and cougars, besides those black bears.
Must respect the wildlife, and be sensible!
Mary
I know I seem like a crazy redneck but I'm trying to exhaust as many possibilities as I can before I use lethal force. The risk is that it gets too comfortable around humans. Last week a lady got killed by bears while jogging in Durango. This bear is a nuisance. We've had many problems with it in the past but no one is willing to call Parks and Wildlife.

Back
Top Bottom