Bear Flipped over coop

Off subject but hows the mule deer & elk huntin where you are? Ive made a few hunts in boulder / eagle area. Gotta good friend owns a cajun restaurant in breckenridge been begging me to come make a hunt too.
Always willing to talk hunting. Amazing. On public land you've got to get pretty far in but my friend shot his first elk last year about 3 miles in by Grand Junction.

He came back. Lit him up with airsoft guns and he left. Didn't do anymore damage to the coop. Those chickens are lucky. Sprayed bleach around the sides because bears hate it.
IMG_20210508_063344.jpg

He came back. Lit him up with airsoft guns and he left. Didn't do anymore damage to the coop. Those chickens are lucky. Sprayed bleach around the sides because bears hate it. View attachment 2656539
You NEED super strong hot wires around your set up. After you wire it up with the punchiest charger you can find (and at least three jumpered ground rods sunk down 8 ft deep), drape small pieces of bacon on the wires lengthwise. The bear will get a deterrent lesson far better than getting scared off by noise.

In MN, we can kill a nuance bear, we just have to notify the game warden within 48 hours. We also have to do our due diligence to not attract them in the first place. If you have bird feeders, for example, you need to remove them. Obviously, if you have livestock, you will have food for said livestock. That doesn't really count, but you still need to secure everything as best you can.

We get a couple strolling through here every year. EVERYTHING outside of the chicken area is put away. No garbage outside. No pet food. No wild bird feeders. We don't even bbq if they've been around. We try to make it so they have no reason to stick around.

I have electric poultry netting around the chicken pasture. Bears have touched it, but they don't go through it. A couple shots usually scares them off if they are in the yard. They will also run from dogs, though I don't want mine chasing them. We haven't had to kill one in over 30 years, but at least we have the option. Bears are destructive buggers. We had one bite, and crush, the knob on the front door when I was a kid. He also tore the siding off the house. He got lead poisoning.

I'd definitely have buckshot as back up. Ammo is just impossible to find right now. I've got 8 rounds of birdshot and that's it.
Yeah I stock piled before the last election. Always these so called shortages during election cycles. I have a few cases of every caliber I own. Idiots are out there offering my 3 times what I paid for my 5.56 right now.

Back
Top Bottom