Bear Flipped over coop

Pics
I love my electric wires and my cameras. As I mentioned previously, some people bait there wires to get the predator to touch the hot wires with their nose, lips or tongue which are the predators most sensitive parts especially with a predator like a bear. I have never baited my wires but the predators know they are there. A good powerful fence charger with a good ground. I would put the ground in a drip line where the ground tends to be more moist. The goal is that you want the predator to know it will hurt if it attempts to get at your coop and birds. Again, good luck...

Th
Bear flipped over our coop. Ate 4 but 2 managed to survive. Sadly our pullets didn't make it. Based on the the tracks I'd say 175-225 lbs bear.View attachment 2655611
That completely sucks. Sorry you're dealing with that. Looks like your in the northeast region by the birch trees. We're in maine. Haven't dealt with bears but they are around along with lynx, bald eagle, owls and hawks. We see them all frequently. No bears are flipping our coops. They are train cars from an amusement park made of steel. Trying to keep them as safe as possible. Chunnels running off backs and side of coops. Yup, they're living the dream. Best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_161809153.jpg
    IMG_20210516_161809153.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 26
Th

That completely sucks. Sorry you're dealing with that. Looks like your in the northeast region by the birch trees. We're in maine. Haven't dealt with bears but they are around along with lynx, bald eagle, owls and hawks. We see them all frequently. No bears are flipping our coops. They are train cars from an amusement park made of steel. Trying to keep them as safe as possible. Chunnels running off backs and side of coops. Yup, they're living the dream. Best of luck.

Welcome to BYC. I hope you write up a coop page on that unique conversion process.

Sadly CO law doesn't allow that. Bird bangers are basically firecrackers launched out of a 12 gauge shell. If it comes back I'll call the game warden.
Am in CO too . would go ahead and contact the game warden even if to just have a report on record. They would know if others are also having a problem and any tips you may of not thought of on how to set up a future coop that will help. We have bears there is a natural large predator path next to our homestead property. Fencing and cross fencing and always had a large group of noises maker dogs that the bears just want to be on there way to other places not bothering us. So sorry for your loss.

That is so sad. I know from experience how heart-breaking it is to lose our little feathery friends. This spring I had 47 hens and something actually ripped the chicken wire and came into the hen house. It killed all but 16 of 47 hens. We don't know for sure if was a badger or coyotes. Two of those 16 hens were injured but are still alive. We will probably have to put one of them down as it has crippled legs. Nature can be so cruel. Did you get any new babies?

That is so sad. I know from experience how heart-breaking it is to lose our little feathery friends. This spring I had 47 hens and something actually ripped the chicken wire and came into the hen house. It killed all but 16 of 47 hens. We don't know for sure if was a badger or coyotes. Two of those 16 hens were injured but are still alive. We will probably have to put one of them down as it has crippled legs. Nature can be so cruel. Did you get any new babies?
:(

Th

I'm in Maine as well and even though a bear might not be able to flip those cars over it can rip through fencing with the use of just one paw in a matter of seconds, I know this because it happened at my house in broad daily less than a year ago. :( (our chicken were in their 5x15 ft. chicken run made of chain link fence, also wrapped in chicken wire and small gouge wire around the entire coop on the ground to prevent digging.) It was so scary!

Back
Top Bottom