Bear Flipped over coop

I used unWelcome mats . I got boards nailed nails all through them put them nail up all around my coop . Trust me he won’t like a 2 inch nail through the foot

A stout coop, run and good fencing, electric charged wires and or unwelcome mats of nails, is a necessity in bear country, just like for beehives! Everything likes chickens and honey. Many states wildlife agencies or local animal control, will assist in removing a problem bear, if you squeak loud enough! They usually use a live trap or knock out drugs in darts, but may destroy the bear. Most large wildlife animals are far more rare than a chicken. More chickens live in a single typical commercial barn than all Bears that live in most states with bears. Sorry if you have trouble with bears, but it is preventable, and your responsibility to protect your birds without destroying Bears or other key species unlawfully! I might shoot a bear as last resort, if my family or I are truly threatened and can not retreat with safety. I have had bears sniffing me in my sleeping bag while backpacking and was startled and frightened and screamed loudly and they ran away. If I had a gun at that moment, a dead or wounded bear might have resulted! I am not an anti hunter, vegan or radical environmentalist. But I am sad to see so many well fed people who value a chickens life above a natural native large mammal that has disappeared or become uncommon in most parts of our world where they once thrived. The only real good excuse for killing a bear when not in a legal game management hunt, is imminent danger to you and or family and no safe alternatives possible. Very few of us people are subsistence farmers/hunters anymore, except by choice. There is no excuse for killing an Eagle or other birds of prey at any time or for any reason! Cash reward aside, I would gladly turn in any low life, ignorant, criminal, scum that does that, for free! I hope you are not one who is offended by such a remark, but if you are, I don't mind offending people with such criminal and self centered ideas, especially ones ignorant enough to say so.

Shame on all you who just want to shoot and electrify bears *for being bears* It’s not their fault that people forget and forgot that they live here too.
A shock from a fence is much more humane than pepper spray. One quick snap and it's done, unlike hot pepper that can last for hours.

Shame on those who think we should let our livestock be killed and our property destroyed by bears being bears.

A shock from a fence is much more humane than pepper spray. One quick snap and it's done, unlike hot pepper that can last for hours.

Shame on those who think we should let our livestock be killed and our property destroyed by bears being bears.
It’s not a bears fault that people choose to live in bear territory.

It’s not a bears fault that people choose to live in bear territory.
So everyone should live in town? Oh, wait, bears wander into town on a regular basis, too.

One quick zap from the fence makes a bear look somewhere else for food. I've touched it, my dogs have touched it, my chickens have touched it, numerous fox, pine martens, fishers, and deer have touched it. We're all still alive and well. A simple, quick zap is much more humane than a face full of hot pepper. It's also much better than dead livestock.

We had a bear in the yard last night and the night before. I'm not happy about the new back door on my greenhouse, but my chickens are safe. Who knows how many other times it's been here when we didn't see it, but I have a pretty good idea based on my dog's behavior. Unless there is destructive behavior (greenhouse will be a fairly simple fix) we will continue to just scare it off until it finds somewhere else to hang out.

Bears are no more special than any other predator.

You have to make sure your fence charger is quite powerful. A bear has kind of thick fur and skin. If the charger is too weak the bear will go right through it. You want it powerful enough that it will know it and it will hurt, as I mentioned previously, some people bait their electric wires to get the bear to touch the wires with their more sensitive parts like nose, lips and tongue.

Back
Top Bottom