Bear problem

I am in city limits so I can't shoot the bear. Also I am not allowed an electric fence.

you’re in city limits so you can’t shoot the bear... but the bear can come into city limits to decimate your flock? I would call the local wildlife department or game warden, and tell them they have a bear coming into city limits... tell them about your two year old daughter who likes to play outside! That bear is a danger to all the neighborhood children, and the city needs to take it out!

you’re in city limits so you can’t shoot the bear... but the bear can come into city limits to decimate your flock? I would call the local wildlife department or game warden, and tell them they have a bear coming into city limits... tell them about your two year old daughter who likes to play outside! That bear is a danger to all the neighborhood children, and the city needs to take it out!
yes..but where I live we have a lot of bears. I mean a lot. Bears in town are no novelty here. we all have bear proof garbage cans or we get a visit from bylaw. Generally here, the strategy is to reduce attractants. If a bear is sticking around and doing damage then they will do something but only after you have taken all the steps you can. We have never had a problem with bears and chickens before for the most part. They have fish and fruit and walk right by the coops. The bee keepers generally have the issues. and people who don't pick their fruit. Outside city limits they might have occasional bear problems with chickens but that is fairly rare. This year tho there has been a huge increase in chicken attacks. At the feed store they have sold several electric fence systems in the last few days they were saying. The bears are hungry..and they are getting desperate. The conservation officers are currently dealing with a bear that is breaking into cars..that was in the paper this week! If the bear is injured, showing aggression to humans it would move my bear up the priority case load. In the meantime I am on my own.

yes..but where I live we have a lot of bears. I mean a lot. Bears in town are no novelty here. we all have bear proof garbage cans or we get a visit from bylaw. Generally here, the strategy is to reduce attractants. If a bear is sticking around and doing damage then they will do something but only after you have taken all the steps you can. We have never had a problem with bears and chickens before for the most part. They have fish and fruit and walk right by the coops. The bee keepers generally have the issues. and people who don't pick their fruit. Outside city limits they might have occasional bear problems with chickens but that is fairly rare. This year tho there has been a huge increase in chicken attacks. At the feed store they have sold several electric fence systems in the last few days they were saying. The bears are hungry..and they are getting desperate. The conservation officers are currently dealing with a bear that is breaking into cars..that was in the paper this week! If the bear is injured, showing aggression to humans it would move my bear up the priority case load. In the meantime I am on my own.
were you able to get the electric fence system for yourself?

yes. I read the article posted by Howard, raced down to the feed store and got the last one rated for 10 miles. they said I didn't need that much but I bought it anyways lol I only have an hour or so before dark to get it set up so it might not happen today. I have borrowed a large dog crate so the birds will be sleeping in the laundry room tonight..or until I get it set up

Back
Top Bottom