Bear-proofing coop. Anybody have advice?

rainbowgardens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Central Virginia
We have been hearing about increased bear sightings in our area and I'm worried that my coop isn't secure enough to keep them out.
My doors are just plywood attached with hinges and swing latches to hold the paddlocks. I'm sure a bear could just rip them off. Also, the windows are covered with hardware cloth that is tacked on with those staples you pound in with a hammer.
Has anyone taken extra measures to protect against bears, and what would be required?
Also, what time of the day do bears usually come out? I have free-rangers.

I just watched a show about yellowstone grizzleys last night. Had a segment showing how they tested "bear-proof" garbage cans. After seeing that, I recommend LOTS of perimeter electric fencing, or claymore mines....
tongue.png
. Have a rifle handy too.

Oh MY. No idea, no help for you from me I'm afraid. I just wanted to say WOW I'm glad I don't have to deal with bears. Lots of predators around here--fox, bobcat, coyote, raccoon, possum, rats, snakes, hawks, owls, dogs, etc... But from now on I'm going to be grateful for the predators I DON'T have.
gig.gif

Anyway, good luck with that. I know some of the electric fencing on premier1 supplies says it keeps bear out. I guess I would consider having at least two layers of defense--a perimeter fence, probably electric, and then the actual pens and/or coop. I think it's probably important to keep the bear from knowing about the chickens--because once he does, keeping him out will be much harder because he'll be trying hard to get in. If he doesn't know, you can make it just hard enough to get in that he won't bother trying--hence, the perimeter fence. But I have absolutely no experience--that's just my first thought.

Good luck!!
bow.gif

We have bears here too (saw one in March of last year in our development). Your best bet is electrical fencing, a big dog, and a gun. That being said, if a bear wants your chickens bad enough, it will prob get them. Good luck!

We have the fencing, a Shih Tzu, and a pellet gun. Just enough to really peeve a bear off !

We have the fencing, a Shih Tzu, and a pellet gun. Just enough to really peeve a bear off !

lau.gif

Sorry. Let me catch my breath. Umm... I'm just imagining your shih tzu up against a bear!
lau.gif

Sorry--I don't mean that to be rude at all. I know a barking dog can be a deterrent no matter how small (my dog weighs 10 pounds and I still appreciate her barking at potential intruders--heck, my *cat* scared off a robber one time with his howling--). It just tickled my funny bone.

big_smile.png

We have bears here as well; and they know where the girls (rir's) sleep. The proof has been left on the side window and on the back of the coop, muddy foot prints, big muddy prints! We have seen the bears on the other side of the house, usually night time.

The hard ware cloth; we put strips of wood on all edges and big nails to hold it more securly. The door is plywood with a sliding metal latch, they actually had it slid half way across last week so they are trying to figure a way in.

I use the floodlights to check a couple times a night and will use loud noises to chase off...couple of pans smacking together worked last time.

My brother recommends electric fencing around the coop as they can hear/smell the current and will not cross it....don't know if it's true but do know that he had a problem bear at his place and even had the game commission over to discuss options. It was most likely their suggestion.

I can tell you that I am going to give it a try if the visits continue...the bears are trying to fatten up so they can survive the winter; can't blame them but wish they'd stick to berries:/.

Some on a thread said that if the bears are serious about getting in, they hang livestock panels on insulators and electrify the whole livestock panel. I can see your coop now........

We live in a bush area, with bears and evidence of bears being on our property on a regular basis, monthly.
The only thing we do is have our great dane. She is absolutely terrified of everything (even a bag blowing in the wind), but the smell of her and that she barks all the time seems to be enough to keep bears and coyotes away from the house and chickens.
And bears can come out at all times of the day, when hungry they will venture even up to a persons back door and snoop through things.

Back
Top Bottom