Bear-proofing coop. Anybody have advice?

Great information everyone!
It's the black bears that we have here.
I hadn't thought about keeping food cleaned up until Sunday night. Our neighbor called us because he spotted a strange acting raccoon in his yard, heading into ours. Seemed sick... drooping head and moving slow. I found it next to my chicken coop. It was attracted by the pile of buggy apples I've been throwing to the chickens. The coop was closed, thank the Lord, but what if we'd got home from church late. No more excess food kept out for the chickens from now on.
Electronetting isn't an option for us. I'll shore up the wire on the windows and try to find some way to make the doors sturdier.
We do have a border collie who patrols the yard at dawn and again at dusk. He deters the foxes who may be out and about while my chickens are free-ranging. Hopefully his scent and barking will be enough to make a bear go around us.

Some people have had good success with leaving a radio on a "talk" station. They think the sound of human voices keeps predators away.
Barbed wire will not stop a bear, they can rip cars apart.

I have had electric fences for years and have never had wild creatures killed by it. I would only put it on stun If there was a bear or cougar problem, otherwise it is on snap.

There was a really great post in the coops section by a guy who has a bear problem. He wasn't building a coop so much as a heavily fortified castle with timber frame and massive fence, AND a dog. He showed the chickens walking all OVER that very patient dog.

One imagines the dog handing out chickens during the night to a catered feast for bears. . . .

Back
Top Bottom