Beards/Muffs genetics

Cloverleaf Farm

Bearded Birds are Best
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Levan, UT
Ok, so I have 2 completely non-bearded / non-muffed Salmon Faverolle pullets that have just started laying...I know that's a big 'ol no-no...but I really like their overall coloring quite a bit better than the ones WITH beards/muffs...my question is that if I have a roo with a quality beard/muff combo, which gene would be dominant? would the chicks be 50/50, or have poor quality beards?

If it's not going to work, I'll just sell them now as PQ, and keep on looking for more hens, but I don't want to sell these girls if I can breed it out...

I appreciate any thoughts you fantastically brilliant people have on the subject!!
wink.png

Last edited:
The beard/muff on the offspring will be smaller than the beard/muff of the parent, unless you happen to get really lucky and the genes are hiding in the non-bearded parent.

I agree with the others, its too much work and time and money trying to get better bearded Faverolles.

Best to sell them and start all over again with known stock that carries large beards. Rose Isgirgg is one of them and boy the beards on her babies are huge!

Back
Top Bottom