Beards/Muffs genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Ok, so I have 2 completely non-bearded / non-muffed Salmon Faverolle pullets that have just started laying...I know that's a big 'ol no-no...but I really like their overall coloring quite a bit better than the ones WITH beards/muffs...my question is that if I have a roo with a quality beard/muff combo, which gene would be dominant? would the chicks be 50/50, or have poor quality beards?

If it's not going to work, I'll just sell them now as PQ, and keep on looking for more hens, but I don't want to sell these girls if I can breed it out...

I appreciate any thoughts you fantastically brilliant people have on the subject!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    anyone?

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    The beard/muff on the offspring will be smaller than the beard/muff of the parent, unless you happen to get really lucky and the genes are hiding in the non-bearded parent.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:What she said

Baby half-beards have wattle problems to

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Thanks guys...that pretty much confirms what I was thinking...off to the sale pages....

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with the others, its too much work and time and money trying to get better bearded Faverolles.

Best to sell them and start all over again with known stock that carries large beards. Rose Isgirgg is one of them and boy the beards on her babies are huge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by