Beat the Heat!

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Beating the heat with blueberries and water 💦 and rocks/pavers for traction. The pavers or stones do not need to be completely covered with water. It actually works better if they are not. They will still absorb the cold water and be a nice cool place for them to stand.

(This can be done with a plastic sled instead of a pool. Use what you have!)

If I had any more tread tape I would definitely stick it around the edge of the pool for easy perching.

I put this at the top of a slight decline that way the water doesn't pool when I dump it every night. It goes right down to my flower bed at the bottom. Mosquitoes are bad so I think emptying it every evening is my best bet.

 The pool is not inside the run.

PXL_20230727_192739120.jpg
PXL_20230728_151052685.MP.jpg
PXL_20230728_151150025.MP.jpg
PXL_20230728_150902297.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230727_202046446.jpg

Beating the heat with blueberries and water 💦 and rocks/pavers for traction. The pavers or stones do not need to be completely covered with water. It actually works better if they are not. They will still absorb the cold water and be a nice cool place for them to stand.

(This can be done with a plastic sled instead of a pool. Use what you have!)

If I had any more tread tape I would definitely stick it around the edge of the pool for easy perching.

I put this at the top of a slight decline that way the water doesn't pool when I dump it every night. It goes right down to my flower bed at the bottom. Mosquitoes are bad so I think emptying it every evening is my best bet.

 The pool is not inside the run.

View attachment 3591591View attachment 3591593View attachment 3591596View attachment 3591597View attachment 3591601
I have six ladies in Mesa Arizona and since we don’t have a swamp cooler or misting system for them near the coop, we froze, partial water bottles and put them out on the hottest days. Also, we have plastic containers we feel with freshwater that they can wade in. And best of all! We started making chick-sickles for them. In plastic containers, we froze fruits, vegetables, spices and meal worms, and let the chickens have fun with them on the hottest days! If you’re in the Phoenix and surrounding areas, you know, we had the hardest summer on record. And our flat toughed it out successfully! Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom