Beaten up Hen

CoronationCoop

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
Scottish Borders
I just went down to my normally harmonious flock of 5 hens, one of them was servely being attacked by another and was bleeding from her comb. I placed her in a cage and put her in the coop, however the bullying hen followed us in and started again, I have since completely separated the injured hen completely in a cage in a different old building to recover.

Can I please have have some advice on what to do next? These hens have lived fine for 2 years. Can they be reintroduced? Or will they always? I don't want to lose one! Any advice is appreciated!

I just went down to my normally harmonious flock of 5 hens, one of them was servely being attacked by another and was bleeding from her comb. I placed her in a cage and put her in the coop, however the bullying hen followed us in and started again, I have since completely separated the injured hen completely in a cage in a different old building to recover.

Can I please have have some advice on what to do next? These hens have lived fine for 2 years. Can they be reintroduced? Or will they always? I don't want to lose one! Any advice is appreciated!

Make sure you've located and cleaned all the wounds. I like to use epsom salt water to clean any wounds on chickens, and then keep them in a clean environment until better. You can attempt to re introduce I only have had a chicken attack from another chicken once, and they are fine now living together. You do have to keep in mind if you do have a successful re introduction that doesn't mean the attack-y won't strike again.

Usually hens only attack eachother out of stress. Try to figure out if you can find anything that might be causing the chickens that much stress. This could be the feed area, the roosts, a dirty coop, not enough nesting areas, dirty nesting areas, cramped quarters, inscefitient diet.

Thanks for your help, the injured party is clean and safe, I just don't understand what has changed, if anything for the past 2 years she has been the bottom of the flock, even though being the biggest, she is a Vorwerk and the injured party is a Lohmann brown, is it possible she has just snapped and is now asserting her authority or am I reading too much into this?

Thanks for your help, the injured party is clean and safe, I just don't understand what has changed, if anything for the past 2 years she has been the bottom of the flock, even though being the biggest, she is a Vorwerk and the injured party is a Lohmann brown, is it possible she has just snapped and is now asserting her authority or am I reading too much into this?

If she's at the bottom of the pecking order it could very well be she decided to make an attempt at raising her authority.

Back
Top Bottom