Beautiful Annie just died, BJ devastated

JJ- I was just looking around here before I hit the sack, and noticed your post. I love reading your posts. You describe little chicken scenarios perfectly. I hope it goes well with your new girl. It sounds like you're doing a great job getting them adjusted and feeling right at home. B.J. has confidence in you and I'm sure totally trusts you and is doing his best to care for his new girl.

It will take time, but it sounds like things will be fine in no time.
smile.png
Please let us know how it goes.

Tears and hugs. I am so sorry to hear of the hole in your heart that losing Annie has left. I am glad that both you and BJ have Ellie to help place a bandaid over that hole. Ellie will never fill that hole in your heart but she will find a spot in your heart to fill. Hang in there I am so sorry for your loss

That's what I thought about Penny too, that she'd be the last one standing...but I guess Obelisk will outlast me. LOL

I'm sure Ellie will come around in time...don't know about 2 weeks though...wish I could help you out...sigh.

Thank you so very much Luna/Ginny (so nice of you re: the chicken stories - I fear many of my posts get toooo long!), Jean, Carri, Half-a-dozen, Tracy, SC/Brenda, Jill, Silkie/Hannah - for your good company and your kind and so thoughtfully worded notes.

It's been a whirlwind few days trying to get Ellie acclimated, tending to BJ who is now accelerating his molt (maybe from the stress - poor fellow looks RAGGED) and all manner of insanity going on in other arenas, including many as yet unresolved problems with a new computer necessitated by the old one acting like it might give out.

Jill, thanks for asking about BJ's limp. Thankfully, that had improved markedly by the time he lost poor Annie. So I'm thinking he must have gotten injured while "blueberry jumping". Upon refelction, I recalled that he and Annie had been hopping up and down like jumping beans grabbing blueberries out of a bush a few days before he went lame (such a mystery about Annie - if her heart was weak, how could she be doing that?). He was really hurting but a few days of rest and aspirin water seemed to give him relief.

Hannah, I hope very much that your days have been brighter lately.

Brenda, thanks for checking in on us. Thank goodness I was able to get Ellie so quickly or BJ would be plummeting fast, as you know. He is working overtime to look after Ellie, dutifully at the moment, but hopefully affectionately in time. Thankfully she hasn't taken off at warp speed to parts unknown since that frantic moment Wednesday when the poor sweetheart went running away to try to find her nest. She has laid 3 eggs inside since then and I think now knows that's where she should go. She and BJ took a nice dirt bath this morning and then sunned themslves before a short storm hit. She froze like a statue in the rain and even let me pick her up and bring her inside.

I'll be okay so long as BJ is okay, other than a deep weary sadness that Annie was robbed, taken so young. I miss her unmitigated joy, her company on the arm of my chair or in my lap, her sweet chatter and her incredibly endearing calls for me when she heard me headed her way. You couldn't help but respond. She crawled right into my heart.

I am unable as yet to get the computer and camera to talk to one another or I'd post a photo of Ellie to seek wisdom on what type of feathered soul she is. She looks like the pic on MMH's site of a Black Star.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/black_star.html

Her chest feathers are black, edged with a golden chestnut, and the rest of her feathers are black with a green sheen. Very velvety/satiny looking. She has a small comb and much smaller feet than Annie - petite little thing.

She seems thin to me - narrow, even compared to the others that looked like her at the place where she came from - maybe she ranked low on the totem pole there, in which case she's now arrived at her Christmas morning. Now that she has unlimited access to lots of good food and Avia Charge 2000 in her water and no one stopping her from accessing it maybe she will fill out a bit if there isn't anything sinister going on - her appetite seems very hearty so that's quite promising. In the yard she's opting for a lot of clover and little wild strawberries. And is finding and INHALING all manner of interesting bugs, as did Annie before her. I have noticed Ellie pants more easily than Annie and lifts her wings so I am a bit concerned about her heat tolerance because this was on days not as bad as we've had before her arrival. I'm hoping she will be okay. She doesn't seem phased by it and I am making sure she has electrolytes and ways of cooling on hot days. She now sleeps next to BJ.

THANK YOU THANK YOU
JJ

Edited to add black star link

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom